Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaza Resort Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jezlock View Post
    Let's be fair though, shore diving in Bonaire shouldn't be about the house reef and how convenient that is. Sure, you'll want that for some activities but if you aren't loading tanks into a pickup and driving off down the coast you might as well be watching Bonaire diving on TV.
    I was being fair! I do strongly disagree with your comments.

I stay where I can dive out front and, in my view; where the best shore dive at a resort is located. I have stayed a number of places on Bonaire and always where diving out front is convenient.

We stayed at the Plaza in late December of last year, where prior yearly visits ended in 1999. Many things changed over that period including a complete overhaul of the rooms and especially the transition to an all inclusive format. That said the rooms occupied by our party, while clearly the newer format were showing signs of wear. Cleanliness has never been a problem, though the rooms had a mold smell from the air conditioner.

With respect to the food, while no one got sick, the food was obviously a poor excuse for raising the prices. In fact we drove into town to find something better than the substance level of the buffet. The food is the worst part of the current Plaza experience.

With respect to beach towels for the most part there was never towels available for our use given the resort didn't have sufficient numbers for the guests using the beach and pool facilities. That brings up the fact that while the hotel is large, the beach can be more or less fully occupied during peak hours.

For a hotel experience, overall the Plaza is not bad though I believe overpriced at this juncture especially considering the obvious alternative is known to negotiate room night cost for the asking.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs View Post
    Just back from a week stay at The Plaza. I think this is our 10th year staying there so I guess we like it ok The first 2 years of All Inclusive I thought the food was very very good. This year I thought it was down a notch. Some nights the offerings were better than others and the Friday Night table service menu was excellent. I don't eat meat or poultry and could always find something. So I'm not quite sure what exactly the TA issues were... If you have specific questions about the food I'm happy to answer.
    Been some changes in Toucan Diving. Pretty much all new staff. The old torture chamber of a dive locker bldg has been retired and they have converted the bldg between the bathroom and the camera rinse tank to an open locker room. Your room key opens it after hours. The cubbies are not locked so most folks took their regs back to the room. Good to see positive changes in the dive op.
    Lots of renovations going on. The grounds are looking great again with a lot of attention to the flowering plants!! My complaint for the week was that the cleaning staff just could not seem to provide all of the clean towels each day. It was a rare day when we were not missing the bath mat, or a hand towel or one day all towels!
    Otherwise the rooms were well cleaned. The beds are now some sort of platform with high density foam which we found quite comfortable.

Wow!!! I can only assume that they do not handle the peak holiday period well!!! Can I ask if you have stayed at other dive resorts in the Caribbean? I'm curious what you are comparing this to...

Quote Originally Posted by Strat View Post
    We stayed at the Plaza in late December of last year, where prior yearly visits ended in 1999. Many things changed over that period including a complete overhaul of the rooms and especially the transition to an all inclusive format. That said the rooms occupied by our party, while clearly the newer format were showing signs of wear. Cleanliness has never been a problem, though the rooms had a mold smell from the air conditioner.

With respect to the food, while no one got sick, the food was obviously a poor excuse for raising the prices. In fact we drove into town to find something better than the substance level of the buffet. The food is the worst part of the current Plaza experience.

With respect to beach towels for the most part there was never towels available for our use given the resort didn't have sufficient numbers for the guests using the beach and pool facilities. That brings up the fact that while the hotel is large, the beach can be more or less fully occupied during peak hours.

For a hotel experience, overall the Plaza is not bad though I believe overpriced at this juncture especially considering the obvious alternative is known to negotiate room night cost for the asking.

The food there and the service to Americans is awful.

Chrisa- Sorry to hear about your experience.

We were there for 2 weeks early July 2016. Brief report as to the Plaza many times.

With regards to the food. We found it much better that most all inclusive resorts (although we do not say at many). We even spoke to the chef and him and his assistant make a few meals that was off their menu and they were quite excellent, and we're foodies. Like Lobster thermidor or whole snapper deep fried whole. There service was, well on island time. But nothing out of the ordinary. At the time of our visit there were large American dive clubs that stressed the wait staff due to sheer numbers.

The whole complex is going through upgrades.

Rooms have much better bedding and AC has been improved significantly. Also so has wifi connectivity. Their large solar array ensured that we didn't run out of hot water, something that has happened to us in the past.

The grounds are also been upgraded so the landscaping was a bit tore up at the time of our visit..

Much has changed for the better since our last visit in 2014.

Getting ones gear to and from their house reef is always a challenge and one of the things I wish could be improved. And yes, we have provided suggestions to management.

There beach is always kept nice and diving there has provided some of best Mother Nature can offer. This year included turtles, green morays, eagle ray and a very large bait ball. Something we've never see before.

Again, I have no financial interest in the Plaza resort. We just found it works for us that's all.

That's it for now.

If you wish more, contact me directly.

I missed a flight (Nov 4th) and had to stay one more day on Bonaire. An airline employee offered to find me a room. They sent me to Plaza Beach Resort Bonaire. I don't know if it was because I was only staying overnight or because I refused all inclusive that I was given this room. However ...

The foam pillows stank strongly of stale sweat - all of them. In the late evening I heard gurgling from the shower room. When I checked the shower had 1 to 2 inches of standing water in it that smelled like sewage. I was too tired to change rooms because I had a 4:30am wake up to catch my flight so I just closed the door. I should have changed rooms because due to the stench from the pillows I got no sleep anyway.

On the plus side I did get a wake up call and they did order a taxi for me. The problem with the taxi was I told them I had to be at the airport by 5:00am and they ordered the taxi to arrive at 5:00am. So no points for that.

In short, I would never, ever consider staying here again - nor would I recommend it even to an enemy.
    I believe in disbelief - except in cases of unexpected miracles and pure luck.