Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaza Resort Reviews

Default Plaza Resort Reviews

Any new info for the Plaza Resort? The most recent posts on this forum are from 2011. There were quite a few bad and so/so reviews on Travelocity that we are slightly worried about - mainly about the dining/food. Thanks!

Hello Yamahammer342-
    We've been to the Plaza many times. Last one in 2014 and will be going laterthis year.

For some reason the "knock" against the Plaza as it's too big, toomany people. Over all the times we've stayed there, it never felt like it was toocrowded. We've stay anywhere from May to November.

They had changed over to an "all inclusive" the last time we werethere and we were also concerned about the food. Fortunately we didn't haveanything to worry about. The food was just fine. We had some friends of ourswho stayed last year and they are very picky eaters and they were fine with thefood served.

Their dive shop, Toucan Diving, is located up by the front of the resort. Thisis away from the house reef (18th Palm) and beach and is somewhat of a trek toget your gear down there. One can ask the shop if their truck is going down todrop off tanks, if so, you can give them your gear. That is the one thing thatI don't like the proximity of the dive shop where you store your gear, to the beach.

The other thing is gearing up at the beach. They used to have a bench where alldivers could suit up and leave their stuff, but it was removed for some reason.This has made putting on your equipment a bit of a challenge. I have brought isup with management. Unsure if they have installed another bench at this point.

The house reef is a very easy entry and we've seen just about everything there.Turtles, octopus, rays, squid, seahorse, etc. We dive it quite often whenstaying there.

As far as rooms go, they have been doing a lot of updating and renovating whichis good to see.

All of their staff has been friendly and responsive. If I've had an issue, Iask for assistance, and it's usually taken care of. If not, I'll ask formanagement to see to it.

Other changes have been made including a floating dock towards the north partof their beach and solar panels used to provide hot water.

Please note, I have no financial or otherinterest in The Plaza Resort. We have just stayed there a lot and found itsuits us just fine.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Neptune Nick

We stayed at the Plaza for at least two weeks several times between 2003 and 2012 and it was only the last trip that was not enjoyable. It had been changed to an all inclusive resort and the food service suffered along with general service. While I hope the problems we encountered were just problems with the transition to all inclusive it did teach me one lesson. If you are going to stay for more than a week avoid an all inclusive. Anything that bothers you will be repeated every week.

While we have found another location we like I hope you find your stay at the Plaza enjoyable.

I walked through Plaza a couple of days ago. What's with the buildings over the footbridge there (the footbridge that will eventually see you in front of the airport)? Were they once used and somehow let to get into a state of disrepair or were they just never finished off?
    Owner, AquaVilla @ Waterlands Village (#6)
    PADI Instructor #374823

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by jezlock View Post
    I walked through Plaza a couple of days ago. What's with the buildings over the footbridge there (the footbridge that will eventually see you in front of the airport)? Were they once used and somehow let to get into a state of disrepair or were they just never finished off?
    If those are what I think, they used to be multi-bedroom condo units, available thru Plaza. We stayed in one in the mid-90's when our children were small.

Havent been back there in many years, but they were ok for our purpose when we stayed there.
    Brad Ford

We have stayed at the Divi Flamingo for the last 16 years and love it... And now with new improvements along with new management and chefs we'll keep on returning. We meet our friends there who have repeatedly stayed there for going on 32 years now....

Inconvenient shore diving has always put me off. Virtually all resorts on Bonaire have better access to gear and water than the Plaza.

Let's be fair though, shore diving in Bonaire shouldn't be about the house reef and how convenient that is. Sure, you'll want that for some activities but if you aren't loading tanks into a pickup and driving off down the coast you might as well be watching Bonaire diving on TV.
    PADI Instructor #374823

Quote Originally Posted by gbf View Post
    If those are what I think, they used to be multi-bedroom condo units, available thru Plaza. We stayed in one in the mid-90's when our children were small.

Havent been back there in many years, but they were ok for our purpose when we stayed there.
    So if they are that old...maybe storm damaged and never financially viable to repair I guess. Big shame that - it's quite an eyesore now.
    PADI Instructor #374823

Just back from a week stay at The Plaza. I think this is our 10th year staying there so I guess we like it ok The first 2 years of All Inclusive I thought the food was very very good. This year I thought it was down a notch. Some nights the offerings were better than others and the Friday Night table service menu was excellent. I don't eat meat or poultry and could always find something. So I'm not quite sure what exactly the TA issues were... If you have specific questions about the food I'm happy to answer.
    Been some changes in Toucan Diving. Pretty much all new staff. The old torture chamber of a dive locker bldg has been retired and they have converted the bldg between the bathroom and the camera rinse tank to an open locker room. Your room key opens it after hours. The cubbies are not locked so most folks took their regs back to the room. Good to see positive changes in the dive op.
    Lots of renovations going on. The grounds are looking great again with a lot of attention to the flowering plants!! My complaint for the week was that the cleaning staff just could not seem to provide all of the clean towels each day. It was a rare day when we were not missing the bath mat, or a hand towel or one day all towels!
    Otherwise the rooms were well cleaned. The beds are now some sort of platform with high density foam which we found quite comfortable.