Thread: Caribbean Accountancy Services affiliated to PWC

Default Caribbean Accountancy Services affiliated to PWC

I am both appalled and shocked to say that over the past 10 days or so I have had the most distressing experience with the above named accountancy company which I need to share in case anyone is thinking of appointing a firm to look after their financial interests in Bonaire.

I called into their offices to arrange an appointment to discuss personal tax issues for a new resident last week on Monday, May 8. I left my Bonaire local mobile number with the reception lady. I heard nothing for 4 days and then missed a call at 8.45 on the Friday morning which I returned about an hour later, leaving a voicemail as the call wasn't answered.

By Tuesday afternoon of this week I had still heard nothing so went in again to their offices, having established that the manager - a Mr Pieter Heynen - would be there after 3 o'clock. He chose not to speak to me, offering instead an appointment after May 30 via the reception lady. I told the lady I was leaving Bonaire on May 21 but there was absolutely zero effort to fit me in before I leave.

PWC is one of the top four accountancy firms in the world and I am simply amazed at their attitude to a potential multi million dollar account. The arrogance of the manager is simply breathtaking and I recommend anyone in my position looks at all available options before appointing this accountancy firm in Bonaire. Needless to say, I wouldn't touch the firm with a barge pole and whilst I fully recognise everything on the island is supposed to be stress-free and relaxed, any business that cannot demonstrate common courtesies and good manners to a potential client deserves to fail.

I would like to hear from others that have positive or negative stories about this and other accounting/CPA firms on Bonaire. For those users here that are well known, generate a new user name and tell us how you really feel about your accounting/CPA/business advisory services.

Well, I would like to respond, and I don't need to hide behind a fake name. I have used Caribbean Accounting for more years than I can count for both of my companies' accounting, as well as my personal tax returns. They have never provided anything but excellent service. Pieter, the manager, is my account representative, and he is friendly, responsive, and knows his field inside-out. When I have dealt with others in the office, they have never been anything than totally professional.

I will probably get lambasted by the readers herein, but I have to say that I think that perhaps you are reading more into the situation. I really dislike reading such vehement statements which can cause harm to a business here. We have a small community, and generally we all get along well. From what I understand, you never even met Pieter, so making such wide-open remarks as you have established really isn't warranted.

I am sorry that you were not helped in the timeframe that you desired. Sometimes that happens on a small island such as Bonaire. But I can heartily recommend Pieter and Caribbean Accounting to anyone.

Susan, you're right, I've 'never even met Pieter' because he refused to meet me even though the reception lady said I was only feet away in her area of the building. I'm a great believer in 'speak as you find' and I'm pleased you have only positive comments about CAS but I had a really bad experience which Pieter could have avoided had he really wished. I therefore felt it ought to be shared generally because if he was like that with me - whom he'd never ever met - goodness only knows how he might be like with other newcomers to Bonaire.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by peugeot406coupe View Post
    Susan, you're right, I've 'never even met Pieter' because he refused to meet me even though the reception lady said I was only feet away in her area of the building. I'm a great believer in 'speak as you find' and I'm pleased you have only positive comments about CAS but I had a really bad experience which Pieter could have avoided had he really wished. I therefore felt it ought to be shared generally because if he was like that with me - whom he'd never ever met - goodness only knows how he might be like with other newcomers to Bonaire.
    Or, maybe not. You come across as a bit difficult.....sorry to say that, but you are asking us to speak our minds.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

I'm sorry if I come across 'as a bit difficult' for believing customer service is paramount. I tried to arrange an appointment on May 8 and Pieter Heynen found it impossible to see me until after May 30 even though I had offered to pay for his time when trying to make the initial appointment. Speak your mind by all means and maybe I'm demanding but please don't expect me to accept that rudeness and indifference on Bonaire are the norm, certainly not from my experience with other people and businesses so far.

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default One Man's Common Courtesy

Quote Originally Posted by peugeot406coupe View Post
    any business that cannot demonstrate common courtesies and good manners to a potential client deserves to fail.
    I'd like to point out that what is considered "common courtesy and good manners" varies from culture to culture. In the U.S. we have an extremely customer-centered approach to business. As a "new resident" in Bonaire, an American will need to change that approach, or he will find himself extremely frustrated. In Bonaire, and in many places in this world, the customer is not king. You may think you're doing this guy a big giant favor by bringing him your business, but in fact, he's doing you a favor if he helps you by looking after your financial interests. You're especially asking him to do you a favor when you demand that he create an opening in his schedule for you--on your timetable. Refusing you this favor is not rude or disrespectful. In America, you could just show up at a guy's office, and if you're big enough, he will drop whatever he's doing to pay attention to you. You will not find that here in Bonaire. It is very likely that the "norm" here in Bonaire will occasionally seem to be "rude and indifferent" to you. You're not in Kansas anymore.

Also, in a close-knit community, you will get nowhere by running someone down by name on a public forum.

This advice is based on hard experience. Welcome to Bonaire.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I strongly agree with DSearle's advice...you'll enjoy this small island much more if you work within the Bonaire culture.

I am pleased to say this story has a happy ending!

PwC contacted me after my initial post and made a sincere apology, being both courteous and constructive in its content. It seems our ethics and behavioural standards are not so far apart after all. They have assured me of an appointment next time I visit Bonaire and as such I now regard the matter as resolved. I am grateful to them for responding in such a professional and positive fashion.

All that remains is for me to thank the people who took the trouble to reply to my initial post. Most of the comments were both interesting and thought-provoking. Some I struggled to fully understand but, hey, that's the beauty of free speech!

Hey there sports coupe, as Michael Gaynor used to say: "read--- Dont Stop The Carnival" I read it and it does touch on your subject in a round about way. To me the book isa slow starter but you will get into it. FYI: its not a kindle book so you have to order it.