Thread: home schooling

Default home schooling

I am just curious if there has been anyone that has stayed on Bonaire for an extended period of time and home schooled their child? We don't speak Dutch so I think it would be rather difficult to attend the school on the island....at least at first.
    Thanks in advance
    Amy

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I haven't been through the process myself, but have read of others attempting to do so. I'm pretty sure that the following are true:
    1) Living on the island for longer than 6 months requires either temporary or permanent residency permit, and
    2) Residents must send their children to government approved schools to comply with Dutch compulsory education laws, and
    3) Bonaire schools are taught in Dutch and Papiamentu, and
    4) Exceptions for home or alternate schooling are only granted in special cases where schools are 20 km or more away from home (not likely on Bonaire) or when the parents can adequately demonstrate political or religious conflict with the public schools educational philosophy or curriculum.

But if your "extended period of time" on the island is less than 6 months out of the year you're still classified as a tourist and can probably do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by wwguy View Post
    I haven't been through the process myself, but have read of others attempting to do so. I'm pretty sure that the following are true:
    1) Living on the island for longer than 6 months requires either temporary or permanent residency permit, and
    2) Residents must send their children to government approved schools to comply with Dutch compulsory education laws, and
    3) Bonaire schools are taught in Dutch and Papiamentu, and
    4) Exceptions for home or alternate schooling are only granted in special cases where schools are 20 km or more away from home (not likely on Bonaire) or when the parents can adequately demonstrate political or religious conflict with the public schools educational philosophy or curriculum.

But if your "extended period of time" on the island is less than 6 months out of the year you're still classified as a tourist and can probably do whatever you want.
    Thank you
    Amy