Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zika Virus on Bonaire

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    No one I know living on Bonaire, as I do, does anything out of the ordinary about zika ... same mosquito (Aedes aegypti) transmits zika that transmits dengue or chikingunya ... just normal precautions (use mosquito repellent if going to a mosquito area) ... we don't even talk about it here

Well, maybe you should. I just had two people cancel from my trip in August because of their concern.
    They are thinking of starting a family. I suspect you are not!
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Well, maybe you should. I just had two people cancel from my trip in August because of their concern.
    They are thinking of starting a family. I suspect you are not!
    Well, whatever makes people feel comfortable. As of April 28th, there were 5 confirmed cases reported in Northern Virginia! Is there anything implies a high occurrence rate in Bonaire?

On another note, I've tried Naturapel at home here in Virginia and found it to be not nearly as effective as DEET. My anecdotal experience. Sadly.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by antennariidae View Post
    Well, whatever makes people feel comfortable. As of April 28th, there were 5 confirmed cases reported in Northern Virginia! Is there anything implies a high occurrence rate in Bonaire?
    Hmmm, 1 per 20,000 population, implies 5 per 100,000, 50 per M, 100 per 2M. So having 5 in NoVA is 20 times less the rate of Bonaire.
    This is a specious calculation, of course, because of the small-number statistics, and the fact that it misses the differences in mosquito controls (including screens) and exposure (like eating outdoors). The young couple is more comfortable staying in NoVA...which is not surprising.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Consumer Reports just published their evaluation of the effectiveness of various insect repellants against the mosquitoes that cause Zika as well as another mosquito and deer ticks. Two separate links:

This one discusses the evaluation: http://www.consumerreports.org/insec...tyalertmay2016

This one provides the ratings: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...s-overview.htm

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Mel ... love ya buddy ... but zika is just a non-event here ... not even in the daily conversation
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

From the CDC website:
    • Mosquitoes that spread chikungunya, dengue, and Zika are aggressive daytime biters, but they can also bite at night.

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default A little research

Did a little research...

From the CDC website: "Mosquitoes that spread chikungunya, dengue, and Zika are aggressive daytime biters, but they can also bite at night. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites." According to the World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/csr/don/22-februa...etherlands/en/), there has been only one reported case of the virus in Bonaire, and that was in February. The Zika disease "is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week after being bitten by an infected mosquito. People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital, and they very rarely die of Zika."

The main hazard is the possibility of serious brain damage to unborn children when their mothers are infected. People who are not pregnant or planning to have children in the near future really don't need to worry about this. (This does include men, by the way, since the virus can be sexually transmitted from men to women). Right now, the CDC says, "Women who are pregnant: Should not travel to Bonaire." Also: "Men who have traveled to an area with Zika and have a pregnant partner should use condoms or not have sex during the pregnancy." They also recommend that a couple wait at least 8 weeks after travelling to Bonaire before trying to get pregnant. By the way, I don't believe there have been any reported cases of microcephaly or other birth defects associated with Zika in Bonaire.

The reason they are more worried about travel to Bonaire than about travel to West Virginia (or even Florida), even though there's a lower case rate here, is that the mosquito species that transmits the virus is common here and unknown there. So far, EVERY case in the U.S. has been related to travel to infected areas. There are NO cases of local transmission within the U.S. The one reported case here in Bonaire is believed to have been locally transmitted. That means that there have certainly been other cases, but since the illness can be pretty tame, people can have the virus and not know it. But one reported case more than three months ago is not an outbreak.

Bottom line: If you or your partner is pregnant or likely to be in the next 8 weeks, I wouldn't advise a visit to Bonaire (that's just the advice of the CDC). If that is not the case, Kevin is right: It's not even a topic of discussion. I'm more bothered by the itch of a mosquito bite than I am worried about the disease it might give me. Just spread on the chemical or non-chemical of choice, take your vitamin B, and you should be fine.

Bonairebill is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

There will be more talk as more people are infected with the virus and babies with deformed brains are born on the island. May not happen this year, but it will happen unless a vaccine is developed. This is a serious health issue and I would be surprised if it doesn't affect the economy in Bonaire and other islands with the virus. The health community doesn't yet know all of the effects of the virus. I pray a vaccine is developed quickly so this danger can be put to rest.

Scotttyd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

what is the current status of Zika on Bonaire? I know all of the CDC precautions, and I will be overly careful upon return the the US (wife of pregnancy age) - just curious as to what the likelyhood of me getting infected/bringing it back - I plan to use plenty of deet

It's all over the US already, particularly the south eastern states. If you plan to get pregnant, get tested for it first. If you felt ill after a mosquito bite even in Florida, you may have already been infected with it. To be safe, visit Canada instead, it's relatively safe.