Thread: Language

Default Language

I am just curious....Has anyone ever purchased Rosetta Stone to learn to speak Dutch? Should one learn this language to live/work on Bonaire?
    Amy

I know someone who had purchased Rosetta Stone to learn Dutch. She did very well but said it is very difficult to get the accent correct.
    I respect anyone who can master another language, no matter what it is.

papiamentu is also required

smits is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Maybe these comments could be useful:
    http://www.dutchgrammar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2772

I used the Rosetta Stone system to learn Italian before a trip there. I studied for about three months and got through about half of my three levels before the trip, and I found that I could converse relatively well and at least get my point across. I was told time and time again that I spoke Italian very well for a foreigner. That was years ago, and although I no longer use the Italian enough to keep it conversational, I still can read it well. I would highly recommend the Rosetta Stone series.

Did you learn by just living there or were you able to take a class on the island? I plan on visiting Cadushy again to visit my "state neighbor"
    Amy

Hi Amy, when I first came to Bonaire, I did take classes for some time with someone here to learn Papiamentu. I already spoke some Spanish, so Papiamentu came fairly easily. Over the years, I have also picked up some Dutch. Although I don't dare try to speak Dutch (everyone laughs at my pronunciation), I can actually read it fairly well. That came with just living here and having to understand official documents, etc. However, if you want to get up to speed quickly, then definitely take some classes or follow the Rosetta Stone for Dutch.