Thread: Questions about equipment

Default Questions about equipment

My wife and I are visiting for the first time in a couple weeks and I am thinking about buying our own snorkel/mask/fin/bootie set and I am wondering about a few things.

Will the heel strap fins accommodate water shoes or booties? I am thinking about this set if it maters.
    http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Aquati...sk+and+snorkel

Would I be able to just buy watershoes instead of the hard sole booties made for diving? Those seem to be rather expensive.

I have ordered a waterproof dive bag. Are there any other accessory type items we might need?

I would like to buy something that would also be suitable for diving because we might get certified later on and it would be nice to already have some gear.

Thank you

My recommendation would be to go Caribe Inn http://www.caribinn.com/ when on island.
    They consistently beat USA prices.
    He will answer your questions regarding price and availability of items in stock.
    Post your questions to him.
    Hard soled boots are a must for Bonaire because of the broken coral and iron stone at most entries.
    Open heel fins will accommodate either water shoes of hard soled boots, but be sure to wear what you buy when sizing the fins.
    I like spring straps on my fins because the are easy on/off.
    Disclaimer: I am only a satisfied repeat customer of the Caribe Inn dive shop.
    Hope this helps...

To echo grunt, you NEED hard soled boots! We did not have them for our first trip, and there's no greater agony than trying to get to the water in soft soled shoes or bare feet with all the broken coral and rock. Remember, though it makes it painful to walk over, all that coral and rock close to shore is what makes the snorkeling in Bonaire so phenomenal. Loads of places for fish and other sea life to hide! I bought my equipment here, so I don't know about the folks at Caribe, but it's a good idea to have someone with some knowledge help you, as my wife bought a mask that she thought was fine, but hated it. Dee from the Woodwind took one look at it, and said "This is not the right type of mask for the shape of your face", and outfitted her with a perfect mask, that she loves.

Hard sole booties are a must . Especially if
    you want to get certified later. For other items maybe
    a dive light for a night snorkel.

I also say go to Bruce at Carib Inn. He can help
    you with everything you need .

Great! Thanks for all the help. Does anyone happen to have an email for Bruce? All I can find on their website is a basic email for the resort.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Caribe Inn is Bruce's resort. He'll get any email you send. But...PM sent.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

An old pair of tennis shoes will work as well in combination with the open heel strap.

Water shoes will do just fine. If you can't find them at this time of year at a local Kmart or Walmart, they usually have them at the Bonaire Superstore. Hard sole dive booties are a bit better but not worth the extra cost. We have been snorkeling Bonaire for 30 years and have found water shoes to be adequate. I don't know if they're in stock yet, but you can't beat Costco's price for a complete set of fins, mask and snorkel. Walmart is another good place to look. We have bought the Costco sets in the past and been very pleased. As I recall, a complete set was under $30, maybe even less. We snorkel every day for five weeks each winter, and our Costco sets are still good after several years.