Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time visitors, a few questions about vehicle rental

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

As a rule, no, the trucks are not four wheel drive. You won't need it.

Thanks for all the help. I think we have everything in order now!

Check out Everts Car Rental. They're at the airport, and they are just a fantastic family run operation. Vehicles in good shape, paperwork ready when you arrive. Quick and painless check in and check out. I can't recommend them enough.

trucks are usually a LOT cheaper than cars if cost is a factor

If you plan on going to the park, which has some great snorkeling sites I've heard, they won't let you in if you have a car. Only trucks allowed in the park. I heard at one time it depended on how much rain they've had, but when I tried to go in with a car in May 2011, they told me no cars, period. So not really sure.

All of the sites in Slagbaai and many of the shore dive sites on the rest of the island require a truck to amble down off the road to the parking area. Some of the sites do not. The trucks we have always received from AB Rental are "crew cab", 5 adults can fit in the truck easily with all of our gear in the back. 4-wheel drive is not necessary, even in the national park.

Has anyone used Evert's since 2016?
    Thank you

BostonDavid is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier. Everts is ageist and discriminates against drivers older than 70 regardless of their abilities, refusing to rent to us. Watch your tongue if you are tempted to defend them, based on nothing except your prejudices. There's no good evidence to back up their limitation. Most of the other Bonaire car rental agencies have no problem with prospective renters based on their birth dates.

There are alternatives besides trucks for snorkelers who wish to visit the national park or "amble down off the road to the parking area". Many of the SUVs have high ground clearance and are okay for Washington Slagbaai and the Southern beaches, including the Daihatsu Feroza we've reserved for our visit 3-18 March this year. I don't know if our choice is the least comfortable vehicle available for rent on Bonaire, but we've been advised that it's in contention. We've been warned, but we're not planning to do Grand Touring. lol. We've survived past rental of vehicles labeled "cars" that had difficulty staying within the limits of the paved roads on Bonaire. (Toyota Yaris years ago - current models are capable vehicles, I believe.) All this won't help the OP, who presumably has already finished their visit to Bonaire, but I hope it may help others.

Hi David... We have been staying at the Divi Flamingo for 17 years now and anytime we need to rent a car they have a rental company right on property and have never had any problems with them or any cars too. Have a Great time and relax on Bonaire...

We also generally use the Hertz rental company at the Divi Flamingo.