Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time visitors, a few questions about vehicle rental

Default First time visitors, a few questions about vehicle rental

Hello.

My wife and I will be visiting Jan 17-24. First question is, what rental car companies are located at the airport? I would rather not have to worry about pick up and drop off if I can do that. Should we get the best insurance? I have heard stories of vehicles being vandalized. And third, any recommendation on company and cheapest rates? We are staying at Kings beach so I don't think I can get anything through them.

tholland is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

We had great dive truck rentals from AB car rental on Bonaire over many years. They hired a new manager (Ron) in the past couple years and things got even better! They are about 5 min drive from the airport and I believe they will arrange to pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Suggest taking FULL insurance so you don't have to worry at all while on vacation (seems worth the price to me at least). Leave your vehicle unlocked at dive sites and never leave anything valuable inside....and no problems for us at least for the past 10 years or more. Have fun! (watch out for the donkeys at night!)

Thanks for the info. One thing I forgot to ask. We will be snorkeling not diving. Is a truck necessary or can we get by with a car?

For snorkeling, a car will do fine. My wife and I only snorkel, and we never rent a truck. However, if you decide to drive through the Slagbaai National Park, you WILL need a truck, as the road is less of a road than a long series of horizontal ruts in the road, and it would be very difficult to negotiate it with a car. The park is beautiful, but there's only one great snorkeling site (Wayaka II), and I'm not sure you really need to go to that one. I usually rent with Hertz, as I'm a Gold member, and they have automatics (I haven't driven a stick in 30+ years!), but no matter who you rent with, it's a good idea to get the insurance. It will save you from any hassles should something happen. We've never had an issue with break ins or vandalism, though the advice to leave nothing of value in your car, and leave it unlocked is sound. I wholeheartedly recommend taking a snorkel trip to Klein Bonaire on the Woodwind with Dee. It's a phenomenal trip, and you'll see lots of stuff you may not see off the main island (especially turtles). If you want to, check out my blog on our last trip which was in October. It, and the others from past Bonaire trips will give you some perspective on different snorkel sites, and what you'll see there. Here is the link to my blog. https://kimfair.wordpress.com/

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Budget, Avis, Hertz are all right at the airport
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Most all trucks are stick/standard shift, not automatic.
    Ask before you rent if not familiar with a stick/standard shift.
    Lots of dive sites, but not all, are better accessed with a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Most all trucks are stick/standard shift, not automatic.
    Ask before you rent if not familiar with a stick/standard shift.
    Lots of dive sites, but not all, are better accessed with a truck.
    Not trying to be snarky, but which dive sites require a truck? The OP is a snorkeler, not a diver, and as a snorkeler myself, with 5 trips under my belt, I can't think of any site we've snorkeled that we couldn't access with a car (except for Wayaka II in the park). I guess there might be some sites near the Salt Pier that you might need a truck for, but since those aren't great snorkeling sites, maybe I'm ignorant of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimfair View Post
    Not trying to be snarky, but which dive sites require a truck? The OP is a snorkeler, not a diver, and as a snorkeler myself, with 5 trips under my belt, I can't think of any site we've snorkeled that we couldn't access with a car (except for Wayaka II in the park). I guess there might be some sites near the Salt Pier that you might need a truck for, but since those aren't great snorkeling sites, maybe I'm ignorant of them.
    Good point, and it answers the questions posed earlier. You're right -- the main reason to have a truck is to carry all the tanks and dive gear. if you don't have to carry all that stuff, you probably don't need a truck.

Trucks have a higher clearance that cars, my thought was about getting stuck at a dive site.
    We are all adults and make our own decisions.

Are the trucks 4 wheel drive? I was actually thinking about getting one of those small suvs. Since I will be going to dive sites.