Thread: Bonaire in Spring ?

Default Bonaire in Spring ?

Because of my job I have always gone to Bonaire to dive in the summer, mostly July. I have just retired and noticed that airfare is cheaper in the spring, March and April. Will the diving and the waves, currents, etc. still be the same? Any advantages to going to Bonaire in the Spring instead of Summer?

Water is a little cooler that about the only difference I can think of.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

there are not any real seasons on Bonaire - very little variance in the weather and water temps. On bonaire the seasons are labeled by the tourist activity. March and April are wonderful weather months on Bonaire and less tourist activity.

Ok, but the ocean is undeniably cooler in April than in October. 3mm suit for April, nothing for October...
    Tom Schamp

staggs is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I've been in March and July (along with other months) and March was a tad cooler, and windier if I recall. Although last July was somewhat odd....we showed 77-78F Mid July. Always have a great time in Bonaire, may just wear a wetsuit or shorts depending on the time of year I go.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadaddy View Post
    Because of my job I have always gone to Bonaire to dive in the summer, mostly July. I have just retired and noticed that airfare is cheaper in the spring, March and April. Will the diving and the waves, currents, etc. still be the same? Any advantages to going to Bonaire in the Spring instead of Summer?
    I just returned yesterday from a week on the island. Our last trip in 2015 was in April. Both trips were fantastic - very warm water. I dove just in a simple Underarmour-type rash guard and shorts and was never cold, even inside the Hilma. The water temp at the surface was 82F, and at 90' it was 81F, which is about the same temp as the pool we use to train students back home.

Maybe it's unfair, but we chuckle a little when we see folks diving Bonaire in full wetsuits and hoods. It seems completely unnecessary, but then again we're accustomed to diving in Maine, USA where the warmest ocean temp is like 60F, and we will start diving up here in a few weeks and the water temp will be in the upper 40's.

There was a front that came through on Thursday last week and caused a steady blow from the Northwest that lasted through Sunday. This kicked up waves, lowered visibility in shallower water, and made some dive sites unsafe. I think that's completely gone through, and the visibility should return to it's normal level of awesome.