Thread: Wind direction when diving Red Slave

Default Wind direction when diving Red Slave

What is the best wind direction for diving Red Slave, WNW or WSW?
    Have been unable to dive it for the past several trips because of surf; maybe our timing is off?
    We can get the live feed on wind direction for that mornings' dive.
    Thanks in advance.

tursiops is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I think that you'll find that the "instantaneous" wind is not nearly so important as the wind averaged over the last day or two.
    Neither direction you offer helps much, in my experience.
    What does help is a "reversal", where the wind begins to blow from-the-west-toward-the-east, instead of the normal from-the-east-toward-the-west. In the time between the normal wind direction and the reversal, things can be really calm down south. That is when you dive Red Slave and Lighthouse.

There is an old thread on the old Bonaire Talk that might help:
    http://oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/...tml?1236171976
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Thank you for the thread, looking @ the underwater photo taken @ Red Slave gives a perspective on the current!
    Interesting info I found online this morning and wondering if anyone has done this: we are staying @ Divi and
    under their diving section they advertise boats to Red Slave, Karpata and Margate Bay. We do Karpata & Margate as a
    shore, may consider boat for Red Slave. Has anyone done this & wondering if they do a drift dive?

I agree that there are times when this site is difficult, especially when the winds are 20+knots and the surf in 2+meters. In addition, if you look at a map of the island, Red Slave is right on a corner where (generally) south running current meets (generally) north running current. Both these currents can be strong. You can drift from the south (near The Radar Tower) to Red Slave, or from Red Slave north to the exit at the round stone anchorage to the north, but really the best choice is to evaluate conditions and pick another site if it seems beyond your comfort level.

I've done Red Slave many times and Lighthouse several, all as shore dives. I'm also a surf-wimp.

Generally we start the dive morning driving south until the surf is to much, then turn around. If we get as far as Lighthouse and the water is fairly calm, we will do it.

Most years (we've been doing Bonaire in September for 25 years) we cannot dive Lighthouse but we can do Red Slave at least once.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There is a really nice entry at Red Slave just north of the big round "structure", which is north of the formal dive site. You can pretty much enter there anytime and drift north and exit in the middle of no mans land about an hour later ... remove gear, one person walks back and get the truck, while the others watch/breakdown the gear
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32