Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referendum December,18th

Default Referendum December,18th

Since there is little, other than difficult translations from the Dutch, to guide us, how do you plan to vote in the upcoming referendum? YES or NO and why?

there is a lot on good info out in English - one newsletter is to be delivered to every home or you can find it most grocery stores .also just get on the internet and every barrio will be having info meetings - look in the local paper EXTRA- for where info can be found and where and when info meetings are being held I prefer not to disclose what I will vote

are you eligible to vote -do you have your cedula and have lived on Bonaire since 10-10-10?

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Michael -- I am not eligible to vote (have sedula but not permanent since 10-10-10), but I will share how I would vote if I was eligible ... I would vote YES, indicating that I believe that the close relationship with The Netherlands should remain. However, the vote is non-binding and has no weight of law whatever the outcome.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Referendum vote YES or NO?
    So, here’s how I see the Referendum on December 18th.
    You can vote if you’ve had your Sedula for five years prior to the election and you should vote if you’re allowed.
    People who are voting YES are mostly happy with the way things are and people who are voting NO are mostly unhappy. Even though the vote isn’t about if you’re happy or not, it’s about whether to keep or change the current political relationship with The Netherlands.
    There is a lot of misinformation and confusion about which way to vote but it’s complicated by the fact that the published explanations and on line debates are in Dutch and Papiamentu but rarely in English.
    The question translates to English as: Do you agree with the current status which is a direct link to the Netherlands? In other words, should Bonaire remain a special municipality of the Netherlands?
    If YES wins a simple majority nothing more is voted on.
    If NO wins a simple majority then there is another vote to choose between three options, which are Independence , Autonomous Status within the Kingdom, Integration or perhaps any other political status freely determined by the people.
    And now the fun begins. The basis of the question becomes very important and you can’t explain your answer you can only vote YES or NO. And the result of your vote is seen to mean different things to different people.
    Some of the people voting NO are clearly not happy with the current political status and want nothing less than the freedom of self determination for Bonaire; an end to Dutch rule.
    But other people voting NO are fine with the political relationship but are unhappy with the condition of life here on Bonaire. The recent five year assessment and official report on the consequences of the change in Bonaire’s status on 10/10/10 is grim and points out the many inequities and deficiencies in the condition of the island’s people as a direct result of changes made by Holland.
    These NO voters who want to remain connected to Holland see “leverage” in getting improved conditions for the people of Bonaire by voting NO and then negotiating for changes that will improve the quality of life for people living under the umbrella of Dutch Government and money. They say that a YES vote will allow the government to boast that all is well and the people are happy, so a NO vote is required to gain political advantage.
    Meanwhile there are people voting YES who ARE clearly happy with the current political status and have very little compassion for the issues facing the island’s marginalized, underemployed or undereducated people, let alone the poor who have seen their meager resources stretched to the limit by rising fixed costs and eroding incomes; especially seniors and pensioners who, according to the official report, have been hit hardest by the changes made on 10/10/10.
    And finally there are YES voters who abhor these conditions but believe that the political forces in Holland will use a NO vote to leverage an already xenophobic government into providing even less in terms of support for a people seen to be ungrateful and dismissive of the benefits provided by others.
    These YES voters ardently want improved conditions for all but feel the best way to achieve them is to move forward under the current status and lobby for necessary changes and improved conditions through political action and an appeal to “the better angels of our nature” IE the good, positive, constructive acts and feelings we share as compassionate and empathic beings.
    But what if the NO votes win?
    Independence?
    In my opinion this option will never pass in a vote of the people, even if the vote was restricted solely to those who consider themselves descended from the ancient culture of the island. While there are those including James Fines who argue that “The Netherlands continues its position as a colonizing power perpetuating abuse and violating fundamental human rights and interfering unduly with the local political process”; there are others who consistently out vote them in favor of the current arrangement whereby Bonaire benefits from being a part of The European Union.
    Autonomous Status within the Kingdom?
    In my opinion this option will never pass a vote of the people because it requires even more trust in local politicians who have proved themselves to be ineffective and feckless at best and just plain corrupt at worst. And it is our dirty little island secret and everyone knows it’s true.
    Integration (or perhaps any other political status freely determined by the people.)
    This option will never pass a vote of the people because nobody even knows what this means. How do you vote for something as nebulous as this?
    Just my humble opinion

now you are getting it - not totally -but good job - there is no legal obligation to provide information in any other languages but Dutch and Papiamentu -- if you are really involved with the situations on Bonaire- learn our legal languages -- KOB did it and amazing even me altho my Dutch is still bad ..

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I'm not eligible to vote but I have a question. Are the results of the referendum binding on Holland?

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hmmm....sorry KOB...you already answered my question.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the compliment, Petri ... my Dutch is improving, but my Papiamentu is still weak ... we've been struggling to find Papiamentu lessons beyond the first ones we took ... if you know of any, let me know

Happy Thanksgiving !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

i do -both my sister and I want to improve ours too - when I make a contact I will let you know - probably it will be possible after the holidays .....