Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andrea 2 - Rifling through truck while on the dive

A group got their truck rifled at Tori's today. I guess they didn't get the memo. They lost a camera, cash, sunglasses, and nice clothing. Our truck was next to theirs, but only had old t-shirts & towels. Nothing missing. It's very unfortunate, but don't take anything you care about that doesn't dive with you.

It is very sad that some choose to believe they need not heed the advice, and those folks have lost valuables.

Equally depressing is the realization that their stupidity and carelessness has now only increased the likelihood of repeat incidents, because breaking into vehicles still brings rewards, $$$. Some think they are smarter than the locals who gave them such sage advice, or smarter than the petty criminals who won't think to search in that special hiding spot that the victim thought only they knew of.

Seriously??????????? You are blaming the victims????????????

I would not leave a camera, cash, sunglasses and nice clothing locked in my car in front of my house in the USA.
    To do so would make me and easy victim/enabler.
    Common sense dictates to take prudent precautions.

Am I correct in saying that in 2002 you were also an enabler and a victim? All I am saying is, the folks that had things taken from their vehicle in Bonaire, feel badly enough without those of us on Bonaire talk calling them enablers.
    A little empathy~~.
    I am certain they will not make the same mistake twice. Having said that, the crime on Bonaire is out of hand and not corrected, when it comes to theft from both locals and tourists.
    We have made 14 years of trips to Bonaire and the theft is getting worse not better.
    Good diving and safe travels to you.

Here's a positive note... Ours was the only truck at 'ol blue yesterday morning when we came back from our dive. A couple of Bonaire's finest pulled in and checked on us. They asked if we had checked our truck as they had recent reports of a "crew" working the northern sites. We told them we had and all was well, that we didn't leave much in the truck. They were very pleasant and wished us well. We even discussed the best places to eat lionfish. We thanked them for checking on us and how much we appreciated it. It's always a good feeling to have a chat with those in uniform. It reminds us that they are human too.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

nitrogenfixx ... I will respectfully disagree ... as someone who lives here and deals with tourist divers nearly every day, they are indeed "enabling" the local thieves if they don't heed our daily, on-going, continuous advice to NOT TAKE ANYTHING OF VALUE to a dive site ... we even provide lockers for our customers valuables so they don't have to take anything of value diving that would be left in the truck.

Do you really think that local thieves would continue to drive way north and way south if there was a VERY LITTLE chance that they would get anything? Of course not ... they are doing it because the tourists don't listen or think it won't happen to them ... yes, I empathize with the victims, but you wouldn't leave valuables in your car at home (wherever home is), so don't expect a different result here.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

I agree with the concept to not "enable". Having said that, there may have been any number of reasons the folks did not grasp the concept of taking nothing of value with them. As mentioned, we have traveled to Bonaire, multiple times, over a period of 14 years, always heed the warnings/etc. However; we too, were victims of petty crime, when the gas line to our truck was cut, and gas taken. Our truck was parked in a public parking lot, at night, while we were having dinner. So, even "heeding" warnings cannot always prevent criminal issues. The cost of the gas replacement was one thing, but the resort charged us for the " repair to the truck", which was a bit of money. As with all crime, it was a hassle and a lousy experience.

I am just saying, that empathy for the victims, and arrest of these " petty thieves/etc" would be a step in the right direction.
    Crime is everywhere and cannot always be prevented. Having said that, Bonaire is a tourist destination, especially for divers, and the petty theft at dive sites seems to be getting worse not better. Too bad, as it is a black eye for Bonaire. The theft issues, not only from dive locations, but from houses, resorts, where even safes are broken into, indicates a wanton lack of respect for law as well as no fear of being caught or prosecuted.
    Because you live on Bonaire and deal with tourist and divers nearly every day, I would assume you would want to be on the forefront of taking steps to help stop these theft issues. Perhaps you could ask the authorities if there are ways in which the local people, such as yourself, could give them assistance.
    So as you see, I will respectfully disagree with you on blaming the visitors to your island. From you point of view, if there is anything attractive that thieves want, they simply go and take it. Are your stores in Bonaire robbed, broken into, etc, because they have attractive items in the windows? For the most part, I think not, because the local businesses would not tolerate it. However; tourists that come and go are "easy picking" because they are on the island so short a time, that is is impossible for them to have crimes against them solved.
    I wish you a continued good life on Bonaire and safe diving.

We just came back from the island. We were careful as usuall to not keep anything of value in the truck, although we got a bit lazy about tanks and such. We actually had 2/3 weight belts stolen out of the back of our truck parked out front of Elegancia one night. Not sure what the incentive was there, but not the end of the world. I only hope it was someone who will actually put em to use .

We live in a suburb of Washington, DC and I'm on a Nextdoor forum for local residents. A couple days ago, the topic was petty theft from vehicles. The conversation has been going back and forth between those bemoaning the fact that the local police haven't been able to stop it and those bemoaning the fact that their neighbors are leaving their cars unlocked and leaving items in their cars, thereby enabling the scofflaws. I don't know if I really have any reason for pointing this out other than it sounds a lot like the conversation in this thread!