Thread: Carnival 2016 Schedule

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Carnival 2016 Schedule

Ok I have tried to look for schedules and events for Carnival and zippo other than February 6-7. Does anyone have a quality link on this as flight arrives on the 6th @ 7:30pm and it is going to be a nightmare getting around town if Grand Parade is taking place that night. It really seems early in 2016 and have enjoyed the activities in past years, but my guess is not next year. Kids flying in Delta @ 2:30 so then can get everything ready for our arrival. I know a lot of back roads but this time it might really be tested getting up north!

Cornhusker

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Children's Carnival is Jan 31 and the following weekend is adults Sat is in Rincon, Sunday in Playa. Hopefully TCB will post a more in depth schedule

a full schedule was published yesterday in the EXTRA so I would assume it is available elsewhere. Activities start in early January. The karnaval should be off the streets by the time you arrive ..but at 2:30 PM in full swing. Karnaval dates are determined by the date of Lent ..always the week before and coincides with Mardi Gra dates.

And it's been on the InfoBonaire Calendar of Events for quite some time, see: http://www.infobonaire.com/calendar-of-events/

I saw the limited info in Info Bonaire--I was looking for more detailed information as to time the parade starts downtown as we have enjoyed the celebration but was trying to make plans due to our arrival times and kids arriving early--that is what I try to indicate when I said limited.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

traditionally-in the 30 plus years I have lived here- the line-up begins around 1PM and the parade is "on the road" around 3PM and must be "off the road' by sunset- this is Bonaire so it is on Bonaire time .. the conclusion and getting the people off the streets before dark is enforced...the route will probably be announced in early january with the beginning of the Karnaval activities .. hope this helps ...

last year the route was changed in an effort to keep the downtown area open and the north-south traffic flowing ..the parade started at Van der Tweel parking lot and was primarily on Kaya Nikiboko Suit with a minimal route thru the actual main street area ...

thanks for additional details on the parade---I was hoping to have our kids and sister in law on Bonaire to enjoy the event--for some reason I recall watching the parade in the evening with lights and music on nearly every float and groups walking/dancing to their own music--and of course having a Polar while sitting down. I know Island Time very well and if the schedule is 1 is should be 1ishsometimeclose......but relax and enjoy.

Again thanks for info on the route as this really makes it easy to plan on route up to rental house.

Royce

Royce, you may have been thinking about the Tuesday evening following the Grand Karnaval Parade...............that's when some of the Karnaval groups "replay" the parade before culminating at the stadium for the burning of King Momo. That's in the evening.

the parade starts at 'dark' and ends exactly at midnight with burning of MOMO -the spirit of Karnaval on tuesday. The "Teeners" have their parade on monday evening -- at "dark".