Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta customs/immigration times

Quote Originally Posted by raefordbrown View Post
    Four of us started the process at 7 pm Saturday. All was well, until we went through the facial recognition/passport process. Three of the four had no problem. My wife go the big "X" across her ticket, and we...along with a LOT of others...were routed through the time consuming process. The inspector, once we got to him, was a little baffled as to why she got "X'd". Nothing unusual with her passport, our tickets, or anything else. He zipped us through with no hassle, but it took a half hour before we headed for the baggage claim section. The whole process, even with the delay, was about 70 minutes, so 2 hours should be no problem for you. Just have all of your paperwork handy.
    I have the global entry and the facial recognition is not my issue when I get the big "X", its my finger print recognition. Not sure if you are going through Global or not. I have to practice putting my fingers down a piece of glass and try not to wiggle them before I come back to the USA.

Marvin always gets an "X". We assume it is a name thing, but who knows.

I have Global Entry and always get the "X". I am told, each time, it is the fingerprint issue. Read an article on Global Entry and it stated that many have issues with the fingerprint portion .

DrDirector is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My wife & I both have had Global Entry for several years. She routinely had the problem with the "X" and indeed it was a problem with her fingerprints. We were told by a Customes Agent to use some moisturizer/hand lotion on her hands (and fingers) about 10 minutes before going to the kiosks because the ridges forming her fingerprints were too suppressed. Once she started doing that she has not had a problem with fingerprint recognition. Four out of four times since then without the "X". Just our experience for whatever it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirector View Post
    My wife & I both have had Global Entry for several years. She routinely had the problem with the "X" and indeed it was a problem with her fingerprints. We were told by a Customes Agent to use some moisturizer/hand lotion on her hands (and fingers) about 10 minutes before going to the kiosks because the ridges forming her fingerprints were too suppressed. Once she started doing that she has not had a problem with fingerprint recognition. Four out of four times since then without the "X". Just our experience for whatever it is worth.

Thank you for sharing this information about the lotion!! I will try it.

I just downloaded Mobile Passport onto my phone. I will supposedly be able to do the first kiosk (customs questions and selfie) on my phone and go directly to the second part of the process with a receipt on my phone that will replace the printout from the kiosk. Has anybody tried this yet? I'm hoping it will help us get through the process within our 2-hour layover.

A few of the Delta Crew told us about that app. I have global entry so I dont need it but they said it works really well. With Global entry you get an extra perk going through immigration, they give you a TSA Precheck pass. I think that is the last check point before you go get your luggage.

This is the greatest thing! We breezed past the hundreds of people lined up to use the kiosks and followed the signs for electronic check in. We had cleared the first stage of customs in 5 minutes. We still had to pick up our bags and go through the rest of the process, but we were at the gate for our next flight in way less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieC View Post
    This is the greatest thing! We breezed past the hundreds of people lined up to use the kiosks and followed the signs for electronic check in. We had cleared the first stage of customs in 5 minutes. We still had to pick up our bags and go through the rest of the process, but we were at the gate for our next flight in way less than an hour.
    This is great information!! Glad it worked out for you!!!!
    So you have the App on your phone, you open the app, fill in the information on the form, take a selfie? Is that correct?

When I first downloaded and set up the Mobile Passport app I took a selfie and that picture appears each time I use the app. So I had misunderstood that part.
    Yesterday, on my phone as we exited the plane, I filled in our arrival airport and airline, answered about 5 customs questions and submitted it. Then, also on my phone, I received receipts that had our pictures and the same info and symbols that appear on the printed receipt from the kiosk. We went directly to the (very short) line where people were handing in their kiosk receipts. I put the phone down on a reader just like using a paper receipt. The big deal is saving the time it takes to wait in line and use the first kiosk to get the printout of the customs form. With a short layover, every minute counts. And it's free.