Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August Trip.. Possible cold waters?

Default August Trip.. Possible cold waters?

Hey there,

A group of hairy Scots are making the 4500 mile trip to Bonaire for a club diving outing in August (1st to 10th). Everything looks awesome however I'm hearing the sea is cold at the moment? Can anyone confirm? Rumours of 70-75f temps!! I also keep looking at the weather and it doesn't seem to be doing too well at the moment either!

Hopefully it all comes right or maybe I'm just being a typical Scot...

Anyone else going to be over then?

Thanks,

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The sea is 27-28 deg C right now to at least 30+m depth ... there are occasional upwellings in spots that bring a little cooler water, but those are few. By next month, you should be seeing 28 deg C water consistently.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

staggs is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks for clearing that up kob. I had seen the same post as RossH and was scratching my head.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

week of 6/20-6/27 we had 3 different computers, all showing 81F consistently. All that buzz of mid-70's had me thinking Murphy had moved into my gear bag.
    Brad Ford

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

We go the first two weeks of August every year and the water is consistently 84-86 degrees on two computers.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

michaeto ... you will likely find it a little colder this year ... last several weeks there have been some currents bringing cooler water & lower viz ... water consistently 79-81 deg F at this point ... have a great trip !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    michaeto ... you will likely find it a little colder this year ... last several weeks there have been some currents bringing cooler water & lower viz ... water consistently 79-81 deg F at this point ... have a great trip !!
    Have the water temps continued to rise this last week? Viz? We will be on Bonaire in about a month.

staggs is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Have the water temps continued to rise this last week? Viz? We will be on Bonaire in about a month.
    I just returned from a week long trip last night. I didn't think the temps were bad at all, Kob was spot on, I'd say I would see 80F degrees most of the time on my dive computers. I don't know that I saw a noticeable improvement on the vis during the week, but I'm guessing it takes a couple of weeks to clear up.

Quote Originally Posted by staggs View Post
    I just returned from a week long trip last night. I didn't think the temps were bad at all, Kob was spot on, I'd say I would see 80F degrees most of the time on my dive computers. I don't know that I saw a noticeable improvement on the vis during the week, but I'm guessing it takes a couple of weeks to clear up.
    Hi Staggs,

How much of a temp drop did you see at say 20-30m? What sorta distance on Viz?

I see the winds dropped considerably which can only be a good thing although don't want it to drop too much that the mozzies come out to play!!

Thanks,
    R

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    The sea is 27-28 deg C right now to at least 30+m depth ... there are occasional upwellings in spots that bring a little cooler water, but those are few. By next month, you should be seeing 28 deg C water consistently.
    I need a KOB update. We leave in a week and we are trying to decide which wetsuits to bring. Can you update the temps? Get closer to normal 84ish?