Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping?

Default Tipping?

I'm new to boat diving. Can anyone give me some hints on tipping the boat staff? I guess I could also use some advice on tipping in general on the island. Thanks in advance for your help!

We usually tip 15-20% when we dine out. Because of this we get
    great service as repeat customers to our favorite restaurants.

We don't boat dive much but if we get excellent service at the places
    we get our tanks we do tip them $10 -$20 at the end of our trip.

There used to be a young man years ago, working at Buddy Dive and he would jump
    into the back of your pic-up , take the tanks out for you and put new fills
    back in the truck. We gave him a lot of tips. Guess what I am saying is if you
    get excellent service tip accordingly.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

As a rule of thumb, the Dutch tend to tip very little. Americans tend to overtip based on island standards (we did as well in the beginning). A nice tip is around 10% ... more than that will get you remembered & really good service on subsequent meals.

As a boat dive guide now & then, same practices tend to apply ... Europeans tend not to tip or not tip much. Americans generally tip around $5-$10 per diver per dive ... so a 2-tank boat dive tip is around $10 - $20. However, if you are diving from the same boat all week, it's customary to maybe tip $50 - $75 per diver for the week. Others with more experience can chime in.

Hope this helps -- KOB.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Every dive shop has a "tip jar" and every boat crew expects to be tipped. As others have said, it's up to you to determine how much but please remember that no one is overpaid in the dive industry and your tips are very much appreciated and earned.

Don't forget to leave them all your leftover alcohol too... it's how they handle getting up to deal with us tourists every damn day!

Good question and good answers. I do all those things. I also have been known to show up at quitting time with a cold twelve pack of polars at the dive shop.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

I also tip like an American, I can't help it. When I was last on island, I had forgotten my charging cord for my Go Pro. The guy at the Divi dive shop had a cord that he loaned me at no charge for the week. He was very happy to get the rest of my Polars and Brights!

Thanks so much for all the input!! It really helps. One question, though, if the dive shop has a tip jar and I dive off their boats, do I put the tip in the jar in the shop? Or do I hand it to the captain, or what? Thanks!

I would hand the tip to the captain or the person
    on the boat that helped you the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Don't forget to leave them all your leftover alcohol too... it's how they handle getting up to deal with us tourists every damn day!
    ...you have alcohol leftover???? cheers