Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Important change in residency and visitation policies - US Passport holders ONLY

Thanks Kob, I thought so, this sedula is for 2015 ( I am late in picking it up) and it is actually my last year before I could file for "permanent". It figures with my luck I paid all that money for 4 years now!! hahahha but I am glad they changed the rules. It makes sense to go to IND, now that I think about it, I suppose they are still trying to figure out the process and how much to charge.

I'm curious too about what the fee for this will be. My current residency doesn't expire until Jan 2016. I usually make my renewal appointment for late November.
    I wonder if there is any advantage in applying for permanent before my temporary runs out? Would I need a new Good Conduct letter or would my present temporary residency be sufficient? Anyone who has actually done the new permanent residency care to share their experience?

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You would likely need a new Good Conduct letter ... I believe that the requirement is that it needs to be dated within 90 days of your application. I was told by IND that all the current 1-year renewal documentation is sufficient for the new permanent one, but there is a different application MBES-08.

I had the same question about fees ... if you find out anything, please post.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Thank you for the info Kob, I am thinking that I need to wait until my renewal January 2015 and get all the documents together for the very last time!! whooo hooooooooo. You are right about the good conduct letter - it has to be within 90 days of application.

Dee -

If your good conduct letter is less than six months old, you can reapply for the five year status RIGHT NOW using the docs you have. You may need to pay another fee, and fill out a different application form, but you can just resubmit your last documents as long as they are less than six months old. This is what I did in January.

I am pretty sure that the good conduct letter is good for six months not 90 days.

Good Luck!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

Wow, that is great information!! I need to look at my docs and we may have to make a quick trip if they are still good... I hate it when i need an excuse to go bonaire!! hahahaha

I checked with the tax office and the rate for Vastgoedbelasting (property tax for non-residents) is still 0.69% (0.6% plus 15% local surcharge) for 2014, same as 2011-2013, and will go to 0.805% (0.7% plus 15% local surcharge) for 2015 forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bonairehomes View Post
    Correction to Bruce's Property tax rates:

- The tax rate on your home if you are a resident is 0.345%. This is called "Grondbelasting" or GB for short. This tax is billed by the Island Government (Openbaar Licham of Bonaire), and they are two or three years behind with their billing.
    Your proof of residency consists of your sedula, plus your proof of registration that you get from the Bevolking showing the property as your registered address.
    - The tax rate on your home as of 2015 if you are a NOT resident is 0.84%. This is called "Vastgoedbelasting" or VGB for short. This tax is billed by the RCN (local branch of Dutch Government) and they have billed this tax for 2014. They have just started sending the 2015 bills.

The amount of your taxes is calculated by taking the "tax value" of your house less a standard deduction of $70,000 and multiplying that amount by the tax rate for either the GB or VGB, whichever applies.

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

On the 5-year (operation of law) application, one of the required documents is "proof of accommodation in the public bodies." Is this requirement met by the letter from the Registration Office (uittreksel uit de basisadministratie), or is something else required?

Cool

D -

I think your "proof of accommodation" requires 2 documents, one is to show you have a place to live, and can be a lease (if you are renting) or deed of ownership (if you own) meet this requirement. You will also need the document from Bevolking showing your are registered on the island and the address on this document should match the address in either your lease or your deed. In English we normally call it your "proof of registration". The official Dutch name is "Uittreksel Basisadminstratie". Ain't Dutch a beautiful language?

Anyway, this document has your name, sedula number, date of birth, place of birth and current address on Bonaire. It serves as your proof that you are registered here and is proof of your current address on the island.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

I was at IND last week and they gave me MBES08_EN Dated January 2013. They told me the form had not been updated for the new rules. The documents they said we needed submit were 1. Filled in and signed application form. 2. Copy of a valid passport. 3. Legalised certificate of good conduct, for the last five years, issued by the competent authority where you have lived for the last five years (not older than 3 months) They said if you have been renewing your temporary residency you did not need to meet the five year requirement for letter of good conduct, just submit the yearly letter of good conduct same as renewing temporary residency. 4. Proof of accommodation in the public bodies. This could be either a deed or a lease. 5. Proof of sufficient financial resources. This could be a bank statement showing independent, sustainable and sufficient finances, or a recent tax statement showing a fixed taxable income of 20,112 USD i.e. social security or pension. We were told we did not need a the document from Bevolking showing your are registered on the island but you need this document to get your letter of good conduct so we will have it already. I don't think it would hurt to include it when you submit your paperwork to IND. The cost for filing the application is 140.00 USD (excluding the small fees for the supporting documents) and the filing is good for FIVE years.