Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrea 2 - Rifling through truck while on the dive

Default Andrea 2 - Rifling through truck while on the dive

Just a heads up that our truck was closely examined yesterday afternoon (Oct 1) while diving Andrea 2. As per local protocol, the vehicle was unlocked and windows down. Nothing of value was taken but the perpetrators moved all of the items in the cab around and even looked under the rear seat.

Andrea II is one of the few sites I where have noticed broken window glass on the ground over the 10 years we have been visiting Bonaire, a good indication that someone had a vehicle broken into there. Broken glass tends to linger a long time at dive sites on the island, so it can be a strong indicator of previous problems at certain sites.

Plus the houses around these sites get broken into as well

We recently stayed at Crown Ridge #12 overlooking Andrea I. The units in this location are absolutely stunning, one of the best in the Caribbean. Unfortunately this area is not secure. Our unit was broken into on our last night and they even got into the safe taking off with 6K worth of valuables. There were no signs of forced entry, not even into the safe. Inside job?? Who knows, but if we ever return to Bonaire it will not be in this area.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Witches Hut & Karpata are notorious for car break-ins ... Karpata in particular because the thieves have a quick exit to Rincon
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

I have been thinking about this problem and I do believe I may have a defensive plan. We all have old cell phones hanging around many of which shoot video (I have an old Flip camera I intend to use). What if we took our old phones with us and set them up in a hidden location overlooking our truck and record video as we dive. My guess is it won't take too long before someone catches a shot of a perpetrator or the plate number of a vehicle. Yes? no?

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by dannori View Post
    I have been thinking about this problem and I do believe I may have a defensive plan. We all have old cell phones hanging around many of which shoot video (I have an old Flip camera I intend to use). What if we took our old phones with us and set them up in a hidden location overlooking our truck and record video as we dive. My guess is it won't take too long before someone catches a shot of a perpetrator or the plate number of a vehicle. Yes? no?

Will your phone record for an hour plus? Mine won't.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Mel, great point but even 15 or 30 minutes is better than nothing. I guess my point is we shouldn't surrender to the idea that we have no recourse against these violations. Video is easy and it is everywhere.

After having said that I should mention that our next trip to Bonaire will be or 10th in 10 years. We have never fallen victim to car rifling at a dive site and we have been to nearly all of them. The Andreas are a must do on every trip and never have we had a problem.

Unfortunately it won't matter if you have a camera. The police don't care what happens to the tourists. I'm learning this after a few weeks of frustration despite asking for help from some locals. I am so devastated as Bonaire was on our top list of yearly vacation/ retirement plans.

We just got back from Bonaire and while we had no problems at all (and haven't in our four trips) I did see broken window glass at the Salt Pier and 1000 steps. On a side note, in my neighborhood in Austin, TX there's a group breaking into houses and stealing tires right off the vehicles. People have given video and pictures to police, they can't seem to 'find' them and it's still happening. Not to excuse it, but just saying that it happens everywhere.