Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful buoyancy while taking photos

Default Dreadful buoyancy while taking photos

Today on Bari reef around 1120am I observed a very disturbing divers the water. One diver was lying across the reef while taking a photo. This person had a Aquatica, Subal or Nauticam housing with an extra battery pack, perhaps a Salvo, using a flat dome port.
    This "photographer" deemed it appropriate to lie down on the reef while making camera and strobe adjustment while taking a photo of a fish. While another diver decided to stand upright on the reef.
    Perhaps if you know who these divers are they can be taught a peak-buoyancy course or take the camera away from them until their skills improve.

Hard to fix stupid Chris, although public awareness should help. There is no excuse for this.

Although this does make me think, I have been know to lie or stand on the bottom, but only in sand or rubble which there is plenty of on Bari reef. Any chance of this?
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ModCecil View Post
    Hard to fix stupid Chris, although public awareness should help. There is no excuse for this.
    Agreed! Although Darwin often helps...

Quote Originally Posted by ModCecil View Post
    Although this does make me think, I have been know to lie or stand on the bottom, but only in sand or rubble which there is plenty of on Bari reef. Any chance of this?
    I used to do this too. Then I observed that little blennies live in much of that rubble, jawfish in the rubble-sand transition, and in the sand are tiny little anemones that I can only see with a UV light and yellow filter.
    So now I just try and hover near the bottom, and use mostly frog kicks to avoid stirring up the sand.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Sadly no this was not the case, lying across coral and tubes while adjusting camera settings. And the other Diver standing right onto of coral. Both of these divers not where near sand.

Disgusting!

There is a decent chance that they were diving with either Dive Friends or Bonaire Dive and Adventure. If you can provide a good description of their wetsuits and/or equipment, I would encourage you to report them to both dive shops. I can almost guarantee you that if they are diving with BDA they can be identified and will be read the riot act.

Based upon the keen observation of the type of camera housing, port etc. that was used this sort of expenditure is usually made by divers that have invested both a lot of time in the water and in their gear. As such, it is not likely that they need peak performance specialty, they just probably care more about the shoot than the reef !!!!!

So, I would have to agree with Mod Cecil - you cannot fix stupid.

In response to reeftraveler I am not sure what makes you think that they were diving with either Dive Friends or Bonaire Dive and Adventure. With this sort of investment it is not likely that by looking at their wet suit and or gear you could tell which dive operator they are diving with since they likely own their own gear; however most dive shops here on Bonaire do paint their scuba tanks differently. By looking at the tanks, or if you can recall how the tank was painted we might be able to figure out who they were diving with and correct the problem.

DiverChris did you by chance happen to take a picture of stupid and the other diver stupid ?

Cruisingthedeep-I was not suggesting that their gear was rented at BDA or Dive Friends. I was suggesting that they could possibly be identified by the dive shop personnel based on their gear/wetsuits, etc. This would be especially true if they were diving with BDA, as the staff and owners usually know who is coming and going there.

Sadly I didn't think about taking a photo. We yelled at the divers underwater; they seemed up get the point

reeftraveler, thanks for the clarity. I see divers everyday out of a local dive shop but when it comes to gear only, and no face to attach to it, it s almost impossible.

I too can recall divers from, say last year or the year previous, but generally, only if they have something a little more unusual ie., a certain type of back plate, long hose etc. and or a certain camera.

If someone said they were using a Pinnacle wetsuit and a Mares BCD, it would mean nothing to most, or me, with all due respect.

The tanks, unless personal tanks are being used, are a dead give away to most shops, now combine this with the camera set up that was identified, in this instance, we may be able to determine who these individuals are. I know tomorrow, for example, I will be looking for this sort of camera configuration.

And you are right, Disgusting !

Why didn't u flood there mask to get there attention? I have done that before to these ******* reef huggers it works well!