Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkeling from Bonaire to Klein Bonaire

Master0068 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Snorkeling from Bonaire to Klein Bonaire

Hi folks,

I'm finally booked for Curacao and Bonaire, (from March 3rd to March 17th), and I'll be in Bonaire from March 6th to March 12th (anyone interested in meeting up for Diving let me know ).

I'm wondering (aside from the yearly swim to Klein) if anyone ever snorkels/swims from Bonaire (near Dive Buddy) to Klein Bonaire. I've Snorkeled out nearly that distance in Cuba and Mexico, so I'd be comfortable doing it, but I'm wondering if anyone actually does it.

Anyone who has been there and can provide some insight into the currents between the islands, and if they've done it, would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

It won't be safe to swim there because of the high speed boaters out there all times
    of the day. Only way would be to have someone go along on a kayak staying with
    you. It would be harder coming back to the main island because of the current.

Only if you have a death wish... That would be extremely dangerous - water taxis, catamarans, sailboats, marine park boats, water ski boats, etc all use that waterway. They wouldn't expect to find snorkelers out there. And if a sailboat were under sail, they couldn't stop for you even if they wanted to.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

That would be one of the world's most boring snorkels. Nothing to see except within maybe 200 ft at either end of the run. It would be about 0.6 miles of avoiding boats who are not looking for you.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you want to do a long snorkel/swimming trip, I would suggest that you just follow the coast line.
    Less current and a lot to see.
    I have used water ski boats many times in the area between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire.
    I did not anticipate that a snorkeler could be there. Because of the waves, itís also very difficult to notice a snorkeler, even if I would have been on the lookout.
    When you are accompanied by a kajak, itís doable.
    You can take a water taxi back.

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Stupid Question...why? Nothing to see and dangerous..Come back when we do he swim to Klein Bonaire for Charitity..Otherwise the bragging rights are a bit lame..

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Gmichael View Post
    Stupid Question...why? Nothing to see and dangerous..Come back when we do he swim to Klein Bonaire for Charitity..Otherwise the bragging rights are a bit lame..
    Why being so unfriendly?
    It's a question and we can answer it without saying it's a stupid question.

I can't just "come back" when you do the swim for charity. I'm booked for these dates, and I was curious about the conditions,sights to see, current etc.

Thanks for the insight though, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by smits View Post
    Why being so unfriendly?
    It's a question and we can answer it without saying it's a stupid question.
    Thank you.

I had no idea that the swim in between was so uninspiring. I expected a somewhat shallow ocean in between (20-30ft) and more coral formations, but it seems that isn't the case, a it's making the swim a lot less appealing.

Yes it is quite deep. We were sitting at Eden Beach one night counting the lights when a small tanker rubbled through the channel. I could have spit to the ship from shore. Quite the drop off.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.