Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

I don't want to make this a thread about burglary, but I was chatting with someone and was asked a question that I had no idea of how to answer. I'm hoping someone can help me.

Is there home owner's or renter's insurance that can be purchased that covers loss due to burglary? We have it in the States, but I was uncertain if it is offered in Bonaire. If there is, who offers it and can non-residents purchase it (or are non-residents covered by the owner's insurance policy)?

Thanks for any information you can give me on this. (Dive on!)

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Have you examined coverage details of your US homeowner's coverage? Mine covers my personal belongings wherever I am in the world, including Bonaire. I also purchase DAN travel insurance (which is different than DAN dive accident insurance) which provides incremental $1500 baggage and $1500 sporting equipment coverage per person beyond my homeowner coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by wwguy View Post
    Have you examined coverage details of your US homeowner's coverage? Mine covers my personal belongings wherever I am in the world, including Bonaire. I also purchase DAN travel insurance (which is different than DAN dive accident insurance) which provides incremental $1500 baggage and $1500 sporting equipment coverage per person beyond my homeowner coverage.
    Yes. All of that was discussed. I should have stated that. I'm asking about Bonaire based insurance.

My standard homeowners insurance policy on my CA home covered my burglary loss while in Bonaire 13 years ago.
    I needed proof of ownership for the items lost (receipts etc.) but other than that it was really simple and straight forward.
    The loss was around $3000.
    I cannot speak to renters insurance but an agent surely could.

I guess I don't understand why visitors to Bonaire would want to purchase insurance from a Bonairean insurance company if one or more of their home-based policies covers them while vacationing on Bonaire.

You might get the most accurate answer by contacting the companies that offer insurance on Bonaire.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/caribbea...insurance.html

http://www.ennia.com/en/insurances/personal/

http://www.mcbbonaire.com/products/i...e-personal.php

Thanks Grunt! Sorry wwguy that you do not understand, but I did not realize that type of background information was required to answer the question I posed. There are lots of reasons to not want to submit claims to your homeowners insurance...premiums increase, paperwork/evidence hassles, or the fact that the owner of the place you are staying may have coverage already and you don't need to bother with your own insurance. In any case, I'm not going to rehash my entire conversation on a public forum. I thank you for the links.

I understand why you might not want to submit a claim to homeowners policy (e.g. increase in premiums etc.) I was just curious why you appear to perceive more value in purchasing a temporary traveler's policy in the country you visit, rather than the country where you live. Most people who purchase travel insurance purchase it at home prior to embarking on their trip. I believed (and still do) that this is why the answer to your question wasn't readily apparent and was just trying to communicate that to you. Apparently I failed or you don't care. I didn't mean to push any buttons. Good luck.

You didn't push any buttons. There were just a lot of assumptions. I could have been asking because I want to buy a house there. I could have been asking because my friend wants to visit there and doesn't have homeowners insurance. I could have been asking because someone's homeowner's policy refused to accept a claim from the Caribbean, etc.... In any case, I didn't think why I was asking the question was germane to if they do or do not offer insurance. If it is, then I am not at liberty to respond.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Don't know about renters insurance, but as a homeowner (and full-time resident) on Bonaire, I can tell you that homeowners insurance is easy to get and inexoensive. Hope that helps.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Thanks KOB! Hope to see you this summer.