Thread: non resident wants to stay 3 1/2 months

Default non resident wants to stay 3 1/2 months

Hi, i have a few questions about 'over-wintering'.

*we own a home here and spend 4 to 5 months in the winter. The government doubled the overwintering permit fee from $370 to $740 as of Jan. 1, 2015.
    *is there any other option for homeowners other than becoming a resident, i.e. getting your sedula or the overwintering permit?
    *if I stayed 3 months plus one or two weeks (without getting the 'overwintering" permit) would I be in jeopardy in some way? would I have problems when I returned in 7 or 8 months?

I am having a hard time finding these answers. if someone knows the facts I would appreciate some help with an answer or directing me to the right person who knows for sure.

Thanks so much, Kathy

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I believe that if you contact the gov't (likely IND in downtown Kralendjk) and inform them you'd like to stay an extra 2 weeks, you will likely not have a problem ... BUT, I would do it immediately upon arrival. I don't htink you'll have much luck trying to use email.

Others on BTA may know more. Good luck
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

the limit for a non resident is 3 months .. that is it .. you must contact IND immediately - in person when you arrive if you want an extension ..if you delay contacting IND you will have problems .. owning a property does not give you any right to stay more than the 3 months .. a cedula is issued only when you apply for temporary residency ..which it looks like your option ..

Must you contact IND if you stay less than 3 months?

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by joanieb View Post
    Must you contact IND if you stay less than 3 months?
    Absolutely not.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

As Vince & others have stated ... staying LESS than 3 months, have at it ... staying MORE than 3 months, notify IND immediately & they will likely work with you to help you out
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the information.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

The Immigration Office of the RCN has informed us that USA passport holders will now be afforded the same visitation and residency right as Dutch passport holders who are originally from the Antilles. These changes will be implemented within the next few months and are outlined briefly below.

Visitors: American Passport holders will now be allowed to visit Bonaire for up to six months in any 12 month period. The old visitation rule limiting stays to 3 months out of six months no longer applies.

Prospective Residents: American Passport holders will now be allowed to apply immediately for “resident” status “by rule of law” which will allow them to apply one time for a Bonaire Residency permit that will remain valid forfive years. This new policy applies to both “first-time” applicants for residency AND for those who are in the process of renewing their residency permits.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

If you have an American Passport you may stay maximum of 6 months out of 12 months, the clock starts when you arrive and runs for 12 months. You do not want residency unless you either plan to spend more than 6 months a year, OR you want to take advantage of the Free Medical Care. Residency has its costs, The application for admittance by rule of law costs 140.00 each person and is good for 5 years. You also need to submit several documents that have small fees associated with them. You will have to file and pay Income Tax on Bonaire if you become a resident, if you are over 60 its not very expensive, Under 60 you should see a professional Tax Planner. There is more info on the income tax situation in the "Moving to Bonaire" area of this forum.