Thread: How far in advance does everyone buy their airline tickets for the best price?

Question How far in advance does everyone buy their airline tickets for the best price?

Hello,
    We go to Bonaire every year in April and was wondering when everyone buys their plane tickets- how far in advance)? We always buy United and go on the Ewr to Bonaire flight. We having been traveling first class( as our Xmas gift to one another) since we each have a bag, our dive bag and I usually bring a suitcase with extra stuff and clothes to donate. In the past years Ive always purchased them by december, they recently went up and I'm wondering if I should wait till after the holidays and they may go back down.
    Thanks and happy holidays to all,
    juju

I cant help you with your question but......I am just curious....you bring stuff to donate? What items are most needed? I am traveling to Bonaire in January and have plenty of clothes that could be donated. Where is the drop off for donated items?
    Thanks
    Amy

Poppy who owns Telerin, happens to be good personal friends with our dive instructors. So over the years we have always given her lightly used clothing, to distribute people in need. Jacinto usually comes by our place to pick up. She is a wonderful women and is very grateful for anything we bring. We originally brought her children's clothing but 2 years ago I also included women's. I will send her an email. Please send me a private message so we can talk there. Thank you

For flights, for our February 2015 trip we booked out flights with United on April 24,2014- I keep watching prices and they have not been less

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I have no idea if lower priced fares will be offered again between now and your trip. I'm pretty sure that the airlines like keeping us in the dark that way, as it encourages us to purchase higher fare class tickets. I just know that airlines offer many fare "buckets" for each cabin seating class in an attempt to capture the highest price possible, yet still attract cost-conscious travelers. What you perceive as prices going up and down is most likely changes in availability for the less expensive first class fare categories. (More info on airline pricing strategies here if interested.)

Your best bet for getting the least expensive fare bucket (example: United P or Z class tickets for First/Business cabin) is to purchase them as soon as they're available. After those are sold there's no guarantee that they'll introduce additional discounted inventory, or that it'll still be available when you're searching. The exception on some routes is last-minute discounting to fill seats that might otherwise go empty. The trade-off there is that you have to roll the dice at the last minute and there's no guarantee of discounting... or even seats at all.

Our strategy is to purchase lower bucket fares as far in advance as possible. For Delta that usually means 331 days in advance.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My experience has been that the cheapest seats are usually available far in advance (e.g. 11-12 months) or 120-30 days before. At this point, you'll just have to keep checking ... easy enough to do with Matrix.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32