Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drift Dive Suggestions--

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Drift Dive Suggestions--

We are looking at doing "drift" between dive sites for a change of pace this year and looking for some input from others who have done this while on Bonaire. We have non-diver driver who will drop us off and meet us at exit location and just want to get some input from anyone has done this before, and if they had best combo of sites to select from as a starting point and exit point. Cannot wait to return again as only 41-days until arrival...not that we are counting! Dive gear laid out and regs being checked so please Santa all I want for Christmas is to see a frogfish again this year.....and the manta.......and a sea horse......and a beautiful sunset with a Polar in my hand!

Cornhusker

Planning a drift dive on Bonaire is almost pointless. Doing so would require consistent currents, something not part of the Bonaire experience. You can do one-way dives at most sites on island. One of my favorites is Barry (Sand Dollar) to Buddy at night, or reverse it.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There are many options for one-way dives if you've got a dedicated driver, especially at the the southern sites. Just pick a couple that are spaced apart comfortably for your dive pace. Also, there's no rule that says you have to enter/exit at named sites down south. There are many easy no-name entry/exit points between The Lake and Red Beryl.

For the northern sites, which have more restricted access, here are a few options that come to mind:
    Weber's Joy - Jeff Davis Memorial
    Jeff Davis - Oilslick
    Andrea I - Andrea II
    Cliff - Habitat - Buddy - Bari - Front Porch (pick any 2 or 3 in a row.)
    Something Special - Yellow Sub (You can pretty much just walk in and out of the sea anywhere along Playa Lechi.)
    Cha Cha Cha - Calabas Reef
    Calabas Reef or Carib Inn to 18th Palm

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    One of my favorites is Barry (Sand Dollar) to Buddy at night, or reverse it.
    I couldn't help asking around a while back at the origin of the name Bari. I learned that a Bari is a small Bonairean drum made from a barrel with a sheepskin head. Several traditional Bonairean dances utilize the Bari, including one with the same name as the instrument.

Gotta run. Time for my afternoon dive.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I used term drift just as example and agree that for all the years diving on Bonaire I rarely have encountered solid currents. Like the idea of Bari area for night dive as have done this before but not one way...but again something new to try. Thanks again,

Cornhusker

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You can have a nice drift dive from the Lighthouse to the Radar Tower or from the Radar Tower to Red Slave. You can also drift from Ladania's Leap to Karpata.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My favorite is Ladania to Karpata

If the current is flowing south Eden's Rubble to Something Special is fun, don't make the left into the harbor like one blonde I know very well.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Angel City out to the second reef, north to the anchor chain, back to the Hooker and north to The Lake.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Angel City out to the second reef, north to the anchor chain, back to the Hooker and north to The Lake.
    Ooh... that's a good one! I've done the inner & outer reef circling over the Hooker midway by starting and ending at either the Lake or Angel City, but never all 3 sites in one dive. I'm adding this to my Bonaire dive bucket list!

The one Smack suggests is really nice, but you had better be able to conserve your air. It's a long stretch!

Smack -- when will you be on-island? We arrive March 7th. Sorry to miss you this year, bud.

Dive on Friends,
    Dave & Leslie.