Thread: Now THAT's a BFK

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Now THAT's a BFK

The thread in Lost and Found got me to thinking about mine.

When I was certified, back in the dark ages, I bought a bunch of equipment because the instructor said so. Included was my very own BFK. I took it on my first dive trip to Cayman Brac, staying at the Buccaneers Inn (that should date me). I soon found the best use for my BFK was opening coconuts. It found its way into the back of my dive closet, never to re-emerge, until now.

So, without further ado:

Anybody else have one?
    Brad Ford

Yeah I got one buried in an old dive bag somewhere. Now I started out like all Mike Nelson wannabes with one strapped to my leg, it fell out and was lost on a very early dive. Later that same year I was diving in a lake and saw what I thought was a lobster claw sticking up out of the bottom muck. This seemed pretty strange in a fresh water lake, so I grabbed it and found that it was a BFK standing upright with just the tip above the muck. That is the one I still have.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Of course it was standard equipment along with your snorkel and various other things that turned out to be useless for the most part... I too wear shears.. I buy cheap ones and replace them about twice a season...... I test them before going into the water just to make sure that they don't fall apart........ the one thing that I DO carry and will never dive without is a mirror.. for after dive hair styling and diver nose checking.??. NOT!!!!! a reflection off the mirror can be seen for a long way off.... and if it is dark I can still achieve a reflection by using my dive light on the mirror.. JMHO YMMV
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

I still have my BFK and never dive without it ...

Attached Images Attached Images

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We use BFK's when lionfish hunting ... other than that, just a small titanium one on LP inflator hose
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Never really would use it until I started LF hunting. Now it's strapped to my leg on every dive. Amazing, it's 40 years old and still works great and has no rust. Some things they don't make the way they used to.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU