Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For those who fly through Atlanta, is a 2 hr layover enough time on the way down?

Default Negotiating ATL on the way to Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Johnson View Post
    Thanks, everyone! This is ALL good advice.

-Amy

Remember that the International terminal at ATL and the domestic terminal are not functionally connected. Although they are in physical proximity, they are purposely set so their entrances/exits are not accessible by walking. You must exit one terminal and take a shuttle bus from one to the other after having picked up your bags.

I strongly urge anyone going through Atlanta to spend the night at the Marriott or similar. The Marriott is on the monorail line from the domestic terminal. Collect your bags and walk out and take the escalator or elevator up to the monorail station (also known as the train to the rental car facility). The Marriott is 2 minutes by monorail. They are very nice there and someone will invariably offer to walk your bags to the front desk from the monorail station, about 100 feet away. The rooms are ok and the restaurant is ok as well. Nothing monumental but adequate.

Getting to the international terminal from the hotel area is a bit more challenging. You need to either return to the domestic terminal and take the shuttle or take a cab or, in the case of the Marriott, they have a driver who will do it for a nice tip.

This is the no-stress way to swing it. Particularly in the winter, where delays all over are the rule rather than the exception, why risk your entire trip?

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You can walk (or ride the internal airport train) between domestic and international terminals. But both routes are inside TSA-controlled areas, so you can't do it with your luggage.

I don't know about the monorail outside the airport, but most airport-area hotels offer complimentary shuttles to/from the domestic terminal.

Getting between the hotel and international terminal is easily mitigated with a short taxi ride. Our last three trips were $15 plus tip. Send me a PM if you want the number of a local taxi with Chevy Suburban SUV that works great for luggage etc.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

In Aug 2014, and as late as last week, the Bonaire flight actually departed from an E gate. You check in at the International terminal, F, then walk or ride the internal train over to E. Gates do change in ATL, but our last several trips departed out of E.
    Brad Ford

Quote Originally Posted by gbf View Post
    In Aug 2014, and as late as last week, the Bonaire flight actually departed from an E gate. You check in at the International terminal, F, then walk or ride the internal train over to E. Gates do change in ATL, but our last several trips departed out of E.
    Our experience has been similar, but last Saturday we departed out of F2. We took advantage of our gate's proximity to the well-stocked duty-free liquor offered in F concourse. :-)

Hey Brad,
    Do you think and hour layover will be plenty of time? We are arriving in ATL from Minneapolis and just received an email from Delta our flight times were changed! I have only been to ATL one other time and it wasn't for international travel.....now I am really nervous!
    Thanks
    Amy
    Amy

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hey Amy,

I flew MPLS to ATL about 2 weeks ago, seemed like we came in on A, but it was 2 weeks ago . Seems like I had an hour then, and I made it to D with time to spare. A to E/F is about as far as you can go without leaving the secure area. Plan on about a 3-5 minute walk from the gate to the center of the concourse/escalators. Then about 5-7 minutes on the train from A-to-F. Then about another 3-5 minutes from escalator to the gate.

An hour is usually OK, barring weather and the like. I usually try to plan an hour between my flights (but I'm usually not going to Bon), so that is kinda standard. Even if there are delays, DO NOT GIVE UP. Delayed inbound often means delayed outbound in ATL, so don't quit until you see the closed door.

That nervousness is why I go on Friday night.

Good luck and have fun on Bon. (I'm not jealous)
    Brad Ford

Thanks for all your helpful tips
    Amy

It's probably also worth mentioning that even though you make a tight or delayed connection in Atlanta (or any other airport), your checked luggage might not. This has happened to us a couple of times over the years, but fortunately on the return flight home with tight connections at US airports. For us the only inconvenience was a 1 day delay in reuniting with 50 lbs of dirty clothes.

But we're in Bonaire right now and have been watching our visiting neighbors here deal with a vacation baggage nightmare. They arrived in Bonaire last Saturday via the United flight from Houston. Due to weather delays at their home airport they had an unexpectedly tight connection in Houston. They were happy to make their flight, but unhappy when they later learned their luggage did not. Four days later, after many phone calls with different people at different airports, their luggage (containing dive gear, camera housing, and clothes) started to trickle into Bonaire on various airlines via Aruba and Curacao. The final piece arrived Thursday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Gelber View Post
    Remember that the International terminal at ATL and the domestic terminal are not functionally connected. Although they are in physical proximity, they are purposely set so their entrances/exits are not accessible by walking. You must exit one terminal and take a shuttle bus from one to the other after having picked up your bags.

I strongly urge anyone going through Atlanta to spend the night at the Marriott or similar. The Marriott is on the monorail line from the domestic terminal. Collect your bags and walk out and take the escalator or elevator up to the monorail station (also known as the train to the rental car facility). The Marriott is 2 minutes by monorail. They are very nice there and someone will invariably offer to walk your bags to the front desk from the monorail station, about 100 feet away. The rooms are ok and the restaurant is ok as well. Nothing monumental but adequate.

Getting to the international terminal from the hotel area is a bit more challenging. You need to either return to the domestic terminal and take the shuttle or take a cab or, in the case of the Marriott, they have a driver who will do it for a nice tip.

This is the no-stress way to swing it. Particularly in the winter, where delays all over are the rule rather than the exception, why risk your entire trip?
    Thanks Philip,

A group of us are transiting thru Atlanta next summer, so your Marriott suggestion sounds good--today, the price was $97. with the taxes. Last year we had trouble with a no-show hotel shuttle. This should go better-AND, the hotel is much nicer for notmuchmore money!

Thanks again!

We have been taking various ATL flights to Bonaire for many years. Delta is the most reliable and usually leaves on time. I highly recommend staying overnight at a local hotel. We prefer the Drury as it has protected parking if you leave your car. If you just need a stop on Friday is has regular shuttle service that provides very good service. Also, Drury has a dinner included or you can go across the street to Ruby Tuesday.