Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred Snorkels

Woodwind is great! haven't gone a year without going on at least one trip with Dee. Can anyone recommend snorkel sites with easy entries. I'm very unstable going into the water. I do go to Eden Beach and Plaza since they have docks. Thanks! Sue

My husband and I were in Bonaire in October for our annual snorkeling-only visit (I know, divers, you pity us!!) Here are a few thoughts about good sites with easy entries, a must for us old-timers:

1. Like some other posters, we go out with Dee on the Woodwind once each year. Turtle sightings on all three snorkel spots. It is just a feel-good experience for us and an opportunity to see lots of coral types.
    2. The Klein Bonaire water taxi no longer will drop you off well south of the beach for a drift snorkel as in previous years. Apparently there have been incidents with lost swimmers and people trying to get to shore in the wrong places.
    3. I agree that the sandy entry on the beach(es) opposite the airport and the plentiful fish along there make for a good snorkel. There is also a mini staghorn coral "forest" if you swim out a bit. We also always walk through the Plaza to get to the stairs at the south end (18th Palm) and always see plenty there.
    4. The new Coco Beach project (between Eden Beach and Den Lamen) has not degraded the underwater experience as many people seemed to fear. Still an easy entry to go south all the way to the marina or north through the Bari Reef area.
    5. We usually snorkel three or four times on each trip in the waterfront area in town. There are many places to walk down steps or walk off ledges or boat ramps. This year we saw squid, more than one octopus, several balloonfish, many scorpionfish, and just a lot of fish in general. We love to go on eel hunts and usually find many under the ledges along the edge. We think this is the most under-rated snorkel location on the island.

Let's hope we all live long enough to see the underwater environment return to the condition you were fortunate to experience in the past!
    Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

Patsy, thank you so very much for your advice. I really appreciate it!! I've often thought of snorkeling in the waterfront area but never have done so.

Kdleeskis2 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker
    Colorado, Western Slope..the better slope

Since you guys snorkel and some dive, were looking for user friendly sites for both because we have a mixed group. Can any of you help?

Virtually any dive site can be good for snorkeling and diving. My suggestions,

I would start at something special

salt pier,

an unmarked dive site across from the airport under the fuel tank dock( sandy entry right by the dock, go to the north, shallow water has lots of beautiful stag horn coral,

Andrea 1

calm day Karpata and Tolo.

1000 steps as well!

Kdleeskis2 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker
    Colorado, Western Slope..the better slope

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    1000 steps as well!
    Thanks for the replies!! So ready! Karen

I really like snorkeling in the mangroves but canít remember where they are or how to get there. I love shallow snorkeling sites. I donít remember grassy, eel grass, snorkel areas on Bonaire, but if someone knows of any Iíd sure like to know where. Weíll be on a month dive trip but still enjoy snorkeling as well.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Find your way to the Mangrove Center on Lac Bay

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Drive to Jibe city.
    Go past Jibe city, all the way to the end.
    At the end of the road, you will find a small pier.
    You can enter the water there and swim to the left.
    I've seen 1 inch baracuda's there