Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police Report

thanks Kob, I think we need more cents or should I say bonaire needs more sense, LOLcheers

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I just read that our favorite local family-owned grocery store on Bonaire was robbed by 3 armed men last night.

From the Bonaire police website (English translation by Google): "On Tuesday, July 29, an armed robbery took place around 20:45 pm on a Chinese supermarket located on Bulevar Gobernador Nicolaas Debrot. Three masked and armed men walked into the supermarket and demanded money from the cash register. After they receive this, they ran on foot behind the building along road."

Zhung Kong market in Hato, across the street from WEB water plant, is the only market along this road. (For those that don't know, this is the main road north between Kralendijk and the northern hotels and dive sites.) This market is owned and managed by a friendly Chinese family and stocks a wide variety of American-style items and thus receives considerable tourist traffic. In the past year or so Pasa Bon Pizza and Lover's Ice Cream, also frequented by tourists along this same road, have been robbed by armed men too.

Crime continues to spiral further out of control and the island police aren't doing anything to make me or others feel better about the prospects of reining it in. The bad guys are getting away with it more often than not, which only makes them more brazen. Anyone on the island who has anything that can be sold, bartered, or traded for cash or drugs is a potential victim. It's only a matter of time before somebody is seriously injured or killed. Not trying to sound like Chicken Little, but it's obvious that things are slowly getting crazier every year... especially since 10/10/2010.

I'm not sure what our personal tolerance level for this rising risk is, but it's starting to look like we might find out.

I am saddened by the Zhung Kong's robbery!! I go to that store all the time when I am on Bonaire!!
    Its time the Dutch took control of this! I agree, things got worse after 101010!

I believe in the right to bear arms, but don't necessarily believe it would help Bonaire's situation.

What would help would be for the absolute ridiculous Bonaire's law regarding a citizen defending their home against someone breaking in to be thrown out! That law needs to be replaced by laws geared toward protecting the victim, certainly not the criminals which is what they do now. If I catch someone breaking into my house I should have the right to hit them with a baseball bat, they have no business in my house!

As long as these lax laws are in place, there is no incentive to not rob, steal & plunder.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You make a great point, trish !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    The crime does grow unfortunately on our island. I am not convinced that it is a Bonairian thing as most of the children I saw grow up there from mid 80's still have their values, I really believe it is an outside invasion and turf war. Just my two cents.. However, with the Dutch governing the island, I believe there needs to be extreme measures at this point, even short of marshal law, with armed military partrols to assist the local police and if the local police due to their family connections have hesitation or guilt of turning in or arresting, rotate them to Holland to take the burden off of them and replace with Dutch police until the cycle stops... I know it probably sounds ridiculous, but its just my thoughts and who is gonna listen anyway.
    here we go again beating the drum, without the rythum, it is so sad that an island that had so much pride has been taken over by drugs

I am so saddened by these reports, not just for me as a selfish tourists, but for all who this amazing island. We have been planning to book air this next week for our next Bonaire trip, but with all of the recent threads about armed robberies at many of our favorite places that we frequent, we are worried how much more this will escalate before our trip. I am really debating whether or not it is good to wait until some of these issues are better resolved....

Quote Originally Posted by jendiver View Post
    I am so saddened by these reports, not just for me as a selfish tourists, but for all who this amazing island. We have been planning to book air this next week for our next Bonaire trip, but with all of the recent threads about armed robberies at many of our favorite places that we frequent, we are worried how much more this will escalate before our trip. I am really debating whether or not it is good to wait until some of these issues are better resolved....

My wife and I will be going to Bonaire for about our 14th trip in January, the last 11 in a row. However, I believe this will be our last for a time, not 100% because of crime, but it is a factor. However, I sincerely believe it will have an effect on "non Cruise Ship" tourism. We happened to run into someone from our home town in the Detroit Airport last year on our trip to Bonaire. They were "astounded" that we would go to Bonaire. They had been robbed there a few years back and would not consider going again.

I am In full agreement with Jendiver, this is such a sad thing that is happening! It is going to really ruin the island. We have gone steady 4years Ina row, staying minimal 1month at a time, we have plans for November and are really concerned about the trip. the tickets are booked, the deposit is given on the lodging, but have not payed the full amout as of yet. this will be a last minute decision, if I continue to read the theft and armed Robbie's that are occurring, we will not be going. Our $ will go to another place for our yearly month stay. I'm sure others will follow suit

If you read the other island's boards you find every other island has the same crime problem. The things I read on the St. Martin board are very scary. Look you can not let your fears rule your life, you get out of bed you take your chances. The odds of you being a victim of a violent crime on Bonaire (or for that matter anywhere) are very very small and about the same as you winning megabucks. You don't walk around planning on winning megabucks, why do you then change your life for something equally unlikely (this also applies to guns for self protection people). YMMV of course.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.