Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WWGuy's Trip Report: May 31 - June 14

Very nice video!! May I ask which lense you used and what depth? I just ordered one for my trip in 3 weeks and I am going with the deep one and the middle one. Thanks

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Gerber View Post
    Very nice video!! May I ask which lense you used and what depth? I just ordered one for my trip in 3 weeks and I am going with the deep one and the middle one. Thanks
    Thanks. I'm using the same combination you described. For those not sure what we're talking about: The Backscatter Flip 3.1 filter system for GoPro offers 3 filters, but the setup only permits 2 to be mounted at any particular time. I use the "Dive" and "Deep" filters. The entry shot of my wife Anita was with the Dive filter in about 4 feet of water. The shots at the end with Anita in skydiver pose and the juvenile drum under soft coral were in about 15 feet of water, also with the Dive filter. I usually swap from Dive to Deep at about 50'. The only shot with no filter was the final exit.

I've got the "Shallow" filter too, but haven't felt the need to use it. It would probably be great for snorkeling.

Quote Originally Posted by wwguy View Post
    Thanks. I'm using the same combination you described. For those not sure what we're talking about: The Backscatter Flip 3.1 filter system for GoPro offers 3 filters, but the setup only permits 2 to be mounted at any particular time. I use the "Dive" and "Deep" filters. The entry shot of my wife Anita was with the Dive filter in about 4 feet of water. The shots at the end with Anita in skydiver pose and the juvenile drum under soft coral were in about 15 feet of water, also with the Dive filter. I usually swap from Dive to Deep at about 50'. The only shot with no filter was the final exit.

I've got the "Shallow" filter too, but haven't felt the need to use it. It would probably be great for snorkeling.
    Do you use the "red" filter? I read that it was good for diving and reducing the green I think…I bought one of those, but I think I will get what you have suggested as well. Thanks! Also - I just added this - I looked at the filter system and I don't think it will work for us. We have the GoPro 3+….It seems to say that it only works for the GoPro 3. I'll do some research.
    Last edited by schoude; 06-07-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by schoude View Post
    Do you use the "red" filter? I read that it was good for diving and reducing the green I think…I bought one of those, but I think I will get what you have suggested as well. Thanks! Also - I just added this - I looked at the filter system and I don't think it will work for us. We have the GoPro 3+….It seems to say that it only works for the GoPro 3. I'll do some research.
    I need to read further down pages….it is appropriate for the 3+ as well...

Quote Originally Posted by schoude View Post
    All 3 filters are "reddish" with the Shallow being light pink and the Deep being dark red. You can see the Dive and Deep filters installed on my GoPro Hero 3+ in this photo from a previous trip report. That same post also shows a quick demo video I made that shows the differences between the filters underwater, and what your video will look like if you don't use any filters at all.

This filter system should work on your Hero 3+, since it works on mine too. The description in the previous product link states several times that it's compatible with the Hero 3 and 3+ models. I think what you were reading was the note that it's not compatible with older Hero 1 or Hero 2 models.

Exclamation Polar Beer Alert!!

I'll get to airplanes and dive trucks and all that other stuff a little later. But first things first... Somebody has been messing with my dushi Polar beer! For as long as I can remember my go-to beer of choice on Bonaire has been Polar Pilsen, a.k.a. "Polarcita", from Venezuela. I know a lot of you love the Amstel Brights brewed in Curacao, but Polar Pilsen holds a special place in my heart and tastebuds while on Bonaire. In previous years I've tried without success to find it for sale in the USA. So you can imagine my delight at finding Polar on Bonaire with a new label indicating it's now being brewed and shipped from the USA by the "Florida Brewing Company." Apparently this brewery has been around for quite a while and operating under the Polar business and brand. I just didn't know about it. The difference on Bonaire now is that the local Polar distributor and/or the big grocery stores are importing the Florida blend of this brew instead of the Venezuelan version.

So I happily popped the top on my first Polar "Pilsener Type Beer" from the Florida Brewery Inc. and took my first sip... and almost spit it right back out. IMHO this stuff is truly awful, and certainly isn't the same as the similarly labled Polar "Pilsen" brewed in Venezuela. Adding insult to the injury to my palate I then noted that the Florida Polar is in 7 oz. bottles instead of the 8 oz. bottles the Polarcita Pilsen comes in. I asked our waiter about this later while dining at Paradise Moon and he told us it's a "known problem" and that Polar sales are down all around the island as a result. But a few of the enterprising Chinese grocery merchants are still shipping in Polar Polar Pilsen "Polarcita" from Venezuela. Paradise Moon stocks some and our waiter brought me a bottle to cure my anxiety. The next day we found it for sale at Top Supermarket in the old Cultimara building. Whew!

So for you Polar fans (all 3 of you know who you are) you need to know there's a difference and you'll have to work a little to find the "good Polar". Right now you won't find it at Warehouse Bonaire or Van den Tweels. I also couldn't find it at Zhung Kong grocery in Hato.

Below is a photo of both Polar beers side-by-side. Lunchtime is over and I need to go diving now... so I can come back and enjoy my beloved Polarcita at happy hour!

Polar.jpg

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Well, as the immortal, though now deceased Tim Wilson said "hell, maybe it's you".

I guess I'll have to concede the possibility of frog fish, though I personally have never seen one in 35+ years of searching. But maybe it's me.

but seahorses and the green flash? Right in there with mermaids - no way.
    Brad Ford

Looks amazing! We are on island but the hubby has an ear infection, so no diving for us. Hopefully it gets better soon or I will have to find a stranger to dive with.

Quote Originally Posted by BrookeW View Post
    Looks amazing! We are on island but the hubby has an ear infection, so no diving for us. Hopefully it gets better soon or I will have to find a stranger to dive with.
    Sorry to hear about the ear infection. That's a bummer, especially since you just arrived yesterday. Perhaps if you enable private messages in your BT profile another BT member and his wife might invite you to join them for a dive or two. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wwguy View Post
    Lunchtime is over and I need to go diving now... so I can come back and enjoy my beloved Polarcita at happy hour!
    Mission accomplished.

photo 2.jpg