Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help! broken zipper on luggage

Default help! broken zipper on luggage

Houston, we have a problem. When I arrived in my room yesterday after my Delta flight into Bonaire, I discovered they have cut my bag zippers off. I'm not sure why because they didn't leave a note (luckily nothing was missing!). Delta Customer Service hasn't been helpful yet. I'm more concerned with how I'm going to get all my gear home, as I wasn't planning to purchase a new bag while here. Do you guys have any suggestions on who could possibly repair a zipper on a suitcase, or where I could find a large gear bag to safely transport my gear back to the US (that doesn't cost a fortune)? Luckily we're here for 2 weeks (departing May24) so I have a little time on my side.20140510_161532.jpg

Duct tape it. Seriously double duct tape inside and outside, that'll hold it to you get home. Been there done that. Best of luck.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

It's permissible to check a cardboard box on Delta, as long as it's within the published allowable dimensions and weight. This is generally 62 linear inches (H+W+D) and 50 lbs. for coach or 70 lbs. for first/business class. Depending on size and weight of the damaged bag you might consider packing it inside a cardboard box for the return trip.

those are both great ideas!!! ill definitely do that. i just hope it gets into the US w/o having to be cut open if i duct tape it together.....

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There's a guy on island who does furniture upholstery ... don't know his name or contact info ... check with one of the locals (Ruth, Bob B, Bas N ...)
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Well it seems all things lead to the Super Store, they have luggage and it is not expensive,,,, just a thought. I would be worried about my gear too. Depending on how big your suit case is perhaps you could put it inside of a new one with your gear inside of it.

thank you all so much for the time being, happy bubbles (as leanne says!)

One more thought. If u have 1 or 2 xtra belts, you can put a few belts around it and if they need to look inside, they can do that. That would at least get u back home.

Check out the dive shop at Bruce Bowkers Carib Inn. I think I remembered seeing a zipper repair kit there last month. It runs about $25. I got one for my dive bag here at home and you can basically put it on yourself. It works great. If he doesn't have it, check out the shop in town.

esculley is offline Supporting Member SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

i'd buy a new suitcase