Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where do expats meet in Bonaire?

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Many of us used to take exception to the term Xpat and now that the Dutch are bound and derermined to recolonize us, it is even more ominous. Currently we are less thin skinned and accept the term to mean a forigner living abroad. See the following: What does it mean to be an ex-pat? To ex-communicate yourself from your own country or take the challenge of living abroad? It sounds rather negative at first but after much research on the internet there is quite a community to help those who take the challenge. For the most part, there is no homogeneous watering hole...there is much to much alcoholism on the island as it is! I have a concierge web site www.bonairehelpdesk.com and we address all the issues. I also am (for now) the US Consular Warden and assist Americans who need help with all sorts of issues.. You can contact me throgh www.Bonairehelpdesk.com and we can Skype. Most important!!! Find a copy of Herman Wouk's book, dont stop the carival and committ to memory! Been here for 32 years and not leaving!!

Thanks Michael! I appreciate the information and have ordered the book. We'll contact you soon. - Jen & Mark

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

As someone mentioned, a number of American residents of Bonaire attend church at International Bible Church (www.bonaireibc.org) where I am the pastor. I'm also American. Our services are conducted in English, and we meet at 9 AM on Sundays. We also have a weekly youth group meeting for teens, conducted in English, which would be a great place for a young person to make a few friends. Most of the teens are either Dutch or Antillean, but they speak English pretty well, and they always love to meet American teens. For more info, you can contact me at doug@bonairehelpdesk.org or 717-8332, or at my skype phone (615)649-4452.

For those of us who also enjoy a cold beer or two I am always willing to meet for Happy Hour. We used to have "American Happy Hour" on Fridays at Paradise Moon (before it was Divers Diner) before it was sold. Since the owners moved back to the US, there hasn't been a regular meeting place for expat Americans.
    If there are enough interested people we could restart it again this tourist season. We just need to pick a place. Any suggestions?
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

If you have teenage kids, a good place for them to meet new friends would be at the windsurf place or kite beach, especially if they do either of those sports.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Spice is also popular with the kids
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Maybe Karels.
    My kids went there regularly

Flower Mound Tx. ( 2 miles from DFW airport)

Hey KOB
    Spice would be good. Even though I may have to skip the beers it has a new beach next door for the kids. I am not there full time but 33 percent and working on it. Bob can drink mine for me.

What time is happy hour tonight? hahahaha
    I would like to go to Divers Diner and have some of the spicy chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by bonairehomes View Post
    For those of us who also enjoy a cold beer or two I am always willing to meet for Happy Hour. We used to have "American Happy Hour" on Fridays at Paradise Moon (before it was Divers Diner) before it was sold. Since the owners moved back to the US, there hasn't been a regular meeting place for expat Americans.
    If there are enough interested people we could restart it again this tourist season. We just need to pick a place. Any suggestions?

"there is too much alcoholism on the island as it is"...what does that have to do with the question at hand? All drinkers are NOT alcoholics, and yes...people tend to drink more on vacation then they would in their daily routine. And the term Ex-pat...you are the only one I know that puts a "negative" spin on it. It only means to most people, to someone who USED to live in the USA, nothing more, nothing less. Stop the drama Michael, I used to enjoy this site, but have been off it for a long time because i was tired of reading your one way views of Bonaire. Please stop, all people are different and like different things, just because you don't like something, don't ruin it for everyone else.