Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crime awareness reminder

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The card you get with Global Entry is for land crossing back into the US only ... doesn't work leaving the US crossing into Canada or Mexico. If you have Global Entry, you use your passport at the kiosk when coming back into the US via air, but you use the card when coming back in via land.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

We're home now and as we look back on our trip, the burglary fades in comparison to our other, more pleasant, memories of the stay. I think the biggest bummer was the loss of the camera memory card that was in one of the laptops. Pictures of my niece's first dive was on that card. I luckily emailed a pic to her to post on her face book page, so at least she has one photo (I suspect there will be more photos of her as she continues her diving adventure)

We will be back, maybe at a different location and with less "gear." More vigilant, but that's the nature of things.

Brian, we were also broken into last year while staying at a home we have stayed at for many years in Belnam. We had done everything exactly as we always do, lights on, tv on, security system on, patio doors secured with "poles". We knew it was someone who had been in the house recently as the only item they took was my computer which stupidly I had left under some cushions on a chair in the living room. Other items were in plain sight including 4 dive computers, dive gear, etc. Lucky for me even though I download all my pictures after each dive, I put them on a thumb drive and this was not attached to the computer. We arrived home from dinner a mere 8 minutes after the alarms went off and the phone was ringing when we got inside. It was the security company checking on the alarms. In checking we found that thieves hit homes taking items that can be easily resold in Curacao and that the computer was probably already on its ways.

This experience did not ruin our trip, although my husband was really pissed that we lost a computer that our insurance would not cover. This year we head back in a couple of weeks, without the computer this time. We will be a bit more vigilant about leaving things out. We are refusing cleaning service and yard maintenance. No one but ourselves and friends will be in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOD View Post
    A tip gleaned from discussions was to keep the window drapes open, the lights on, the closets open and the safe open, showing the would-be "visitors" that there's nothing to take. This in addition to the normal precautions, leave nothing valuable in plain site.

The police also suggested to make sure that the groundskeeper that might show up is legitimate. This technique had been used to case rental units while the renters are there and are using their toys!
    It's really a shame that his happened to you Brian, but good for you on not letting it spoil your trip!

I can't believe that you were told to leave the safe open? What good is the safe if you leave it open? And, if you leave all the closet doors open too, where exactly would you put things of value to get them out of plain site?

Legit groundkeepers? How are you supposed to know if they're legit? Housekeepers that case the joint too? Should we check to see if they're legit too?

I've never heard of doing these things! Geeze, what's next, just lug all your valuables around with you & leave the house doors open too?

We've been coming to Bonaire for years & only experienced having our car rummaged through once & nothing stolen because there was nothing to steal. We've been blessed to never have had any problems at any of the Sunbelt or Remax homes that we've rented, as well as the times we've stayed at our own place, or when we've had guests in our place. Very thankful for that!

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Legit groundkeepers? How are you supposed to know if they're legit? Housekeepers that case the joint too? Should we check to see if they're legit too?
    We rent for 2 weeks each year and out of concern with having unknown people in the house, we reject the bi-weekly housekeeping. We keep the place neat ourselves and prefer to go to the rental office several times each week to pick up new towels and linen. We have always left stuff out and around the pool and never felt concerned. We also have always happened to be home when the pool cleaners arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeto View Post
    We rent for 2 weeks each year and out of concern with having unknown people in the house, we reject the bi-weekly housekeeping. We keep the place neat ourselves and prefer to go to the rental office several times each week to pick up new towels and linen. We have always left stuff out and around the pool and never felt concerned. We also have always happened to be home when the pool cleaners arrived.
    It's really sad that you have to do that! As I said earlier, never had any problems with the staff for the Remax & Sunbelt houses that we rented, so shout out to them. I keep our place neat too, but I absoultely refuse to clean toilets and mop floors on my vacation & 3 weeks is just too long to go without, so I do take weekly housekeeping.

Well, we're back on Bonaire for another extended stay, not at the same place that we had our "experience" at, but a larger place with multiple units. Next door to us is a single house that is openly "for rent". Today we awoke to our weekly neighbors asking if we had heard/seen anything the night before. Guess what?! They had been burgled!

Same MO as our incident. The neighbors went to dinner and upon returning found they had been broken into. The occupants were quite upset, both because they had lost all their valuables, but also because of the nonchalant attitude of the police.

My words of caution to all single house renters - it would appear the thieves wait for the single rental car at the house to leave around dinner time, then make the break in. Same as what happened to us.

I love Bonaire. We came back after a bad incident but we decided to not rent a single house, safety in numbers I hope. (We also have multiple motion detectors that raise a loud racket)

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

What part of the island did this occur? I read that crime stats show a decrease in the number of robberies and I see fewer trucks with broken windows.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

This was in Blenem, both times.
    Yeah, I've seen a lot less evidence of issues at dive sites. And I was originally encouraged this trip to see a lot more police presence. I, too read the stats that show a decrease in robberies.
    Maybe it's me LOL.
    I'm not saying that the problem is on the rise, just trying to make people aware that robberies still happen and it sucks when you're the victim.

Renting a single unit property having the sign "For Rent" on the fence is a tip off to would be burglars. All they need to do is watch and wait for the renters to go out for a nice dinner....