Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crime awareness reminder

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default crime awareness reminder

I want to keep everyone aware of the crime issues facing tourists coming to our favorite dive destination. We were burgaled(?) a few weeks ago in Belnam at a rental home. We use motion detectors, yet they were not triggered. High tech security windows were penetrated. The bad people came in when we went to dinner. We even left the TV on. Draw your own conclusion.

Police responded promptly and gave us anecdotal stories about other recent incidents in the neighborhood. In telling the tale to others I was amazed at the number of recent burglaries (2014) and "petty" crimes that have occurred. Many with first hand experiences, both visitors and business owners.

An upswing in the crime rate? Or just my involvement led to my increased knowledge? I couldn't tell, so once I got access to BT again I went looking and couldn't find any recent mention, hence my post to keep everyone aware. Bonaire is not heaven where everything is perfect, just paradise where the snake lurks. It's easy to succumb to the feeling of being in heaven!

A tip gleaned from discussions was to keep the window drapes open, the lights on, the closets open and the safe open, showing the would-be "visitors" that there's nothing to take. This in addition to the normal precautions, leave nothing valuable in plain site.

The police also suggested to make sure that the groundskeeper that might show up is legitimate. This technique had been used to case rental units while the renters are there and are using their toys!

While the thieves might have taken our laptops, etc, we didn't let them take Bonaire. We'll be back. Where we'll stay next time will be impacted by this though.

Brian

PS, we also got to experience the medical services on the island (not related to the burglary) and can report that the issue was taken care of promptly and professionally.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Sorry to hear of your experience, Brian. Sounds like someone was watching you and maybe even was familiar with the premises. Bummer.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Brian, sorry to hear about that. My wife and I (7th trip) along with friends of ours who had never been to Bonaire before were also violated, but to a much lesser degree. Our very last dive of a 12 day trip, we returned to our vehicles to discover someone had been shopping. A pack of smokes, $0.65, and a nice pair of reef sandals gone while our friends also lost a pack of butts and $5.00. Both trucks even had the keys left in the ignition. I happened to notice a truck pull up to the side of the road when we were getting ready, but dismissed it until after part way thru the dive I started to think abouit it. My wife was pissed because this had never happened to us ever. I explained to her if that was all that she lost, not to worry because it does happen and we are reminded of it every time on every island we travel to. This time our number came up. We have stayed at Bamboo Bali last 2 trips and never even worried about locking our cottage when we were gone. Next time I will try to be more aware when I see a vehicle pull over beside a dive site. On a brighter note, Next day while touring around the Island I had lost my wallet with my C-cards, credit cards, drivers license and Nexus pass. It wasn't until we were on the way to Rincon on the outskirts of the Park that I realized it was missing. After circling back to our last stop which was Karpata, we pulled up to a truck and I immediately saw my wallet sitting on the dash. They were waiting for me to return. So, there are some jerks and some wonderful honest people everywhere. That is why we come back to Bonaire

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Great story with a happy ending ... you're braver than I am though, leaving the keys in the ignition of your truck while diving ... truck keys always go diving with me
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

I second the motion. I would never leave the keys in. I leave the doors unlocked and nothing left in the truck but I think some guys would drive off with the truck. That would not be a good way to return from a nice dive. I had a guy in Aruba hid his keys under a rock and then went diving. When he returned, his jeep was gone because the crooks seen him hide the key. In Curacao someone stole the jack from behind the seat. That stuff is going to happen but we must not leave anything valuable in the truck because it WILL be gone!!! When that happens to you, it really makes u feel like u have been violated but it does make u a smarter person for the next time.

Oshendvr,
    People are people, wherever you go. That's why I'll come back to Bonaire. There are plenty of wonderful people here, letting a few bad apples ruin it would be terrible. One of the stories that I heard, unsubstantiated, was of one gang using children to slip through windows and open the locked doors! Teach your children well, the song goes...
    Anyway, what's a nexus key? Sounds like something I should have.

Brian

I normally take my keys with me but my dry box leaked during our first dive of the day early in the week and when I tried to start the truck it wouldn't. Even opened the keypad to dry it out (no luck). Had to leave the truck at first dive site while we continued on to next dive. Left key on dashboard to dry more, so when we retuned to our truck it worked. We also had steering wheel locks but became a little complacent on last dive of the trip and never put it on either. I will from now on.

Brian, Nexus is not a key but a card issued by U.S. Border protection Services. It is similar to Global Entry program. Since we live close to Buffalo N.Y. we frequently travel stateside. Nexus is basically an express pass for land crossings in and out of Canada. It also allows us to bypass long customs lines when flying in and out of Toronto. Global Entry is automatically granted with our Nexus card, so if we fly into the U.S., this also avoid long customs lines. For example, Miami customs used to take us 1 1/2- 2 hrs, now it is 3 minutes. Hope this clarifies things. Sorry for any confusion

I've got a card issued by the passport office for the same reason, crossing into Canada from NY, but was told it's only good for ground border crossing, ie Canada and Mexico. Is the nexus something different? Is the border protection services a different group than the Passport office? Is it only issued to non-US people?

No, Nexus is available to Canadian and U.S. citizens but is not issued from the passport office. U.S. customs has an office in Fort Erie. at the Peace Bridge. We still need to carry our passports when flying but allows us the luxury of bypassing long lines in and out of Pearson Airport. We still get our retinas scanned and get finger prints read at the airport. I am not sure whether Nexus applies to Mexico. If you go to the Nexus website they may be able to clarify things a little better than I can.