Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are there any dives you have to get to via boat that we should be sure not to miss?

Default are there any dives you have to get to via boat that we should be sure not to miss?

First time for all of us, would love everyone's thoughts.

All the marketing sounds like you can get to 2/3 of the dive sites from shore. Looks like boat diving is pretty cheap, probably because of the former. Are there any "not to miss" dives that we should plan to do, meaning, should we get an unlimited diving package, that also includes a few boat dives? (if so, which dives are they?)

One of our group is staying at Sand Dollar, and the other 6 of us are in a vacation home vrbo rental, that has shore diving access to "something Special" (hope it IS... since it seems like this place could be a good night or early morning dive spot for us very easily from our patio. Because of the other guest at Sand Dollar, and Dive Friends, we will probably book our dive package through them. Mostly, we just need air/nitrox, half the group has all gear, other half has a few pieces to rent.) renting auto through poppy (advised through BT forum - thank you!)

6 divers and a baby....and a rotating babysitting plan. (That was the deal when the grandparent's were making 'how-many-grand-children-they-want' requests.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There are many great dive sites on Klein which are only accessible by boat ... worth doing at least once. There are also several dives sites north which are only accessible by boat due to the steep cliff shoreline or private property.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. The best dive on Bonaire is such a subjective thing, it depends on your group's perspective and conditions that day. My only warning is to not get dive spot tunnel vision, you plan to dive a particular spot and nothing will deter you. Go to the spot look around, check the entry, check the viz and if it's not perfect go to the next spot. There is always a perfect dive spot on Bonaire you just have to find it.

Not having said all that metaphorical crap, make sure you hit Karpata and the Hilma Hooker .
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ModCecil View Post
    Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. The best dive on Bonaire is such a subjective thing, it depends on your group's perspective and conditions that day. My only warning is to not get dive spot tunnel vision, you plan to dive a particular spot and nothing will deter you. Go to the spot look around, check the entry, check the viz and if it's not perfect go to the next spot. There is always a perfect dive spot on Bonaire you just have to find it.
    This is great advice and should be the standard response to the perennial "where are the best dives?" threads posted here and elsewhere. For 16 years I've been listing my "top 5" Bonaire dives for each trip in my log book. Most of the sites on that list change from year to year for the reasons Cecil mentioned above. I wouldn't dare presume that anyone else would have the same experience at any of these sites on a different day under different conditions.

It's also worth noting that if I had a really special site that consistently delivered above average results I wouldn't be discussing it in a public internet forum! But that doesn't apply to this thread, because all of mine are shore dive sites.

Enjoy your trip!

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

I know you didn't specifically ask, but the ocean is certainly not a static entity. It is always changing (as are the beaches, shore entries etc.). Currents come up from the depths, temps and viz can change, currents on the surface may not be the same as underwater, wind direction and speed is a daily changeable event; not to mention the sea life isn't always the same. All this impacts on the dive sites. So what very may well be a fantastic dive site one day, can be mediocre one on another. I think the real key is to be an astute observer of weather and sea conditions and then be guided accordingly. This sense takes time to develop.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Thanks for the thoughts. With our baby (taking turns with daycare not diving!), I think that shore diving will be our main motivation but we want to be open to boat diving if there is something that is really not to be missed. If most boat dives are nice but on par with shore dives we'll opt for shore diving.

Default Something Special

Hi Everybody.. Well we seen at Something Special a Lavender Frogfish this year. This is the very first time for that color. It's color should be a destination that shouldn't be missed. Take Care.

that's great news. I expect we'll be doing Something Special several times including night dives, as the vacation home we rented says "Something Special is accessible from the back patio". Thanks! we've never seen a lavender one either.

Thanks everyone! I suppose I could have indicated our motivation a little more clear. Some of us in our travel group, plan to do an unlimited shore diving package. A couple of travelers in our group prefer the 'catered' experience of boat dives. From the sounds of it, we can keep our selves plenty busy and happy on shore dives for the week. We like the little stuff best, like nudibranch and flatworms, seashorses. Often times, guided boat dives will whisk you along relatively quickly, and we have found that in order to find that really little stuff and have time to take pics, you need to be patient. Don't get me wrong, we've had some great dive masters who can take us right to a seahorse that is 'regular', but i guess we like the experience of finding the little creatures on our own. that all being said...is there a section of sites that seems to be a "little creature mecca"? (our rented place says "something Special" is great for diving from the backyard, so I'm sure we'll do several dives there.

IMO you should do your best to convince those people who like the catered experience to come along for some shore diving. That's where Bonaire really shines. I can almost guarantee you they'll be converted.

Unless of course there are actual mobility concerns or the like, that's a whole other question.