Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions on CDW and CDW+

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    OK, thanks for the clarification ... and actually I was incorrect earlier ... this came in my email today from Amex ...

New Card benefit coming soon: No foreign transaction fees

Starting May 1, 2014, enjoy a new reason to use your Card: American Express will no longer charge foreign transaction fees on the purchases you make with your Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card outside of the United States.
    that is great news...2.7% in savings

Quote Originally Posted by jendiver View Post
    Can anyone walk through the pros and cons of doing both Amex insurance and taking CDW? We are renting with Poppy and trying to decide if we should do both or if that will mess everything up....
    Jen,

I am just trying to sort this all out myself. My concern would be that if I had two CDW policies, AMEX would consider their policy secondary or possibly void, so I would be subject to the deductible etc. of the Bonaire CDW policy and then AMEX would cover any residual charges. I am not sure if this is true...but I will let you know

As far as pro & con, the Bonaire-based CDW is between $11-$14 per day and a $500 ish deductible, while AMEX is only $24.95 for the entire rental period and there is no deductible.

I understand the pro of doing the Amex over the rental company CDW (this is why a got an American Express prior to this trip and use Poppy), just not if there would be any gain in doing both or not really, and if like you mentioned one cancels each other out, etc or other terrible ideas to just do both.

I had heard that if you do the Amex one then if something happens you have to pay out of pocket for the damage, theft, etc and then Amex pays you back. That is what scares me being out a large amount and not having that money right then on our trip, like if the whole truck gets stolen or totaled. However since CDW doesn't cover theft if the whole truck gets stolen isn't that still the case that I would have to pay for the whole truck out of pocket right then?

I guess I should ask Amex/Poppy these questions, but then where would wild speculation live?

I understand the pro of doing the Amex over the rental company CDW (this is why a got an American Express prior to this trip and use Poppy), just not if there would be any gain in doing both or not really, and if like you mentioned one cancels each other out, etc or other terrible ideas to just do both.

I had heard that if you do the Amex one then if something happens you have to pay out of pocket for the damage, theft, etc and then Amex pays you back. That is what scares me being out a large amount and not having that money right then on our trip, like if the whole truck gets stolen or totaled. However since CDW doesn't cover theft if the whole truck gets stolen isn't that still the case that I would have to pay for the whole truck out of pocket right then?

I guess I should ask Amex/Poppy these questions, but then where would wild speculation live?
    Gotcha Jen, now I understand. The rental agency we use on Bonaire charges $11 for CDW and $19 for CDW plus, which includes theft. I am okay with the paying out of pocket and getting reimbursed by AMEX if I can decline these fees. We rent 2 trucks for a month in FEB and then 1 truck for two weeks in July. So that adds up to $1,330.00 in insurance charges. If we could just do the AMEX insurance it would only be $75.00.

Let me know what you find out and I will do the same...

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Telerin's perspective (from the rental paperwork): "Renter is responsible for all loss and/or damage to the rented vehicle. This liability may be reduced to US$500.00 by purchasing the CDW for an additional daily charge of US$11.43. CDW does not cover theft, vandalism, and/or OFF ROAD driving." All bold font and capital letter emphasis is as it appears on the form.

So Telerin's CDW gets you off the hook for collision and other incidental damage above your $500 deductible. As noted, you're still liable for damage caused by theft or vandalism.

Amex Premium coverage covers it all, but that's an agreement between Amex and you rather than between Amex and the rental company. And of course there's always a risk that Amex might deny or reduce your claim. But if you're willing to accept that risk and have the financial means to pay the rental company for damages in the short-term this policy covers everything the rental CDW does and more.

If you want to pad your bets and ease the burden of handling a claim you can do both. You'll have the convenience of Telerin's CDW for collision damage and the protection of Amex for theft or vandalism. There's nothing in the Amex terms and conditions that says anything about CDW insurance coverage canceling the benefits of Amex coverage. But you should be aware that both policies will try to force as much of a claim as possible on the other if they're aware of redundant primary coverage. If you use both policies you're also paying twice for the same collision damage coverage and you'll be out the $500 deductible if you use the more convenient CDW policy in event of a collision claim. I haven't specifically asked Amex about this, but I think it's unlikely Amex insurance will reimburse you for the $500 CDW deductible.

From my perspective I don't see a "perfect" solution. Everyone has to weigh their available options and then make their decision based on their tolerance for risk and out-of-pocket expense etc. For me, theft and vandalism coverage is mandatory nowadays. Too many trucks and/or parts of trucks have gone missing in recent years. I don't want to waste vacation bandwidth worrying about being responsible for replacing them. If I couldn't leverage the Amex coverage at Telerin I'd have to look at an alternate rental company that offered full-coverage insurance.

Thanks Guys - very helpful!