Thread: Sand Dollar February 2014

Default Sand Dollar February 2014

We were very lucky to get out in between the February snowstorms here in the northeast making our 36th trip to Bonaire returning to our two bedroom at Sand Dollar.

The non-stop flight from Newark continues to be our favorite way to get to Bonaire and the new morning flight time is a delight. To make our lives a little easier we stayed the night before at the Newark Airport Marriott. It was very convenient to get up the next morning and have a two minute shuttle ride to the airport. If you are only staying a week in Bonaire, or anywhere else for that matter, they have a very good deal park/fly deal. You spend the night at the hotel and it includes a week of parking.

Arriving in Bonaire we picked up our car at Budget Rental, who always takes good care of us, and proceeded to our condo at Sand Dollar. Since we were now arriving at a normal time we made a quick stop at Van den Tweel to pick up some groceries. It’s a very clean, modern Dutch supermarket that has everything you need. Another favorite grocery store is Zhung Kong which is located just down the road from our condo at Sand Dollar.

We’re proud to say that we each now have twenty marine park dive tags attached to our BC’s. What’s amazing is that after all these years each one is still a different color.

Joan celebrated her 400th career dive on this trip and we had 18 days of wonderful diving jumping right off the dock at Bonaire Dive and Adventure.

One of the many highlights of this trip was finding the frog fish numerous times at 42 feet on Bari Reef, the house reef at Sand Dollar. Also on Bari Reef we saw a turtle, octopus, and barracuda.

Joan continues to enjoy her Sony RX-100 camera in the Nauticam housing equipped with a Light & Motion Sola 2000 S/F video light. If anybody is interested in seeing the four minute video please send us an email. Alan did a lot of close up photography with his Nikon 200 in an Aquatica housing. Here are the frog fish and octopus.
    azFrog293.jpg azOctopus302.jpg
    Bobby Jan’s still continues to be one of our favorite places for chicken and ribs. We also had wonderful dinners at Capriccio’s and Donna & Giorgio.

We have updated our Bonaire suggestion sheet which includes where to buy groceries, eat and other useful pieces of information. If you would like a copy please send us an email.

coldwaterlloyd Lurker

Thanks for sharing , I think I am going to try Sand Dollar for my next trip to Bon .

Thanks for the report! We can't wait to make it back to Bari! Email sent

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by coldwaterlloyd View Post
    Thanks for sharing , I think I am going to try Sand Dollar for my next trip to Bon .
    Glad to see that you are now contemplating a return trip to Bonaire! My suggestions are to:1. make sure your accommodations are fully screened..2. use mosquito repellent before going out to dinner, especially on feet an ankles..3. Stay away from vegetation especially at dusk and dawn. Good luck!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

We also stayed at the Sand Dollar only in March. Marvin looked for the frogfish a couple of times, but maybe he was tired of all the visitors and went on vacation !! Next time.

There were terrific winds the second week of our trip and the Bari reef was one of the best places to be. We had a screened-in porch and used it all the time.

Bea

esculley is offline Supporting Member SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

nice report and pictures