Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another CDW question

judyphelps is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Another CDW question

Please humor me, I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic but I am still confused.
    I am covered by my credit card company for auto rental insurance.
    The rental car companies on the island that I looked at require CDW but my credit card company advised me to decline it ( as I always do whenever I rent anywhere). What do people usually do in Bonaire pay for the CDW or decline it?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You can't decline a CDW policy from a rental company that requires it. The primary purpose of CDW is for rental companies to avoid argument and/or failure to pay by the renter in event of vehicle damage, especially when fault, extent of damage, or cost of repair are disputed. Credit card damage insurance is convenient for the cardholder, but shifts the decision to payout a claim to an off-island CC company whose financial interests are best served by declining or delaying payment of claims whenever possible. Rental companies figured out a long time ago that it's much harder to settle claims with CC companies after you and your money have left the island.

Your options are either to pay the rental company's CDW policy fee or find a rental company that will honor your CC insurance.

When you say "I am covered by my credit card company for auto rental insurance" I assume you're either planning to rent a car (not a truck) or that your card is Amex and includes Premium Rental Protection Insurance. I've been following this topic closely for years and have yet to learn of another north american credit card that covers pickup trucks in foreign countries.

In the past visits both Budget and Telerin have honored my Amex insurance. FWIW I don't ask for quotes from rental companies who won't.

Thanks WWGUY for the clarification. So the question so ask of the rental company who says the CDW is mandatory is "will you honor my Amex insurance' ? You say Budget and Telerin will, maybe those are the ones I need to go to. Thank you.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Poppy (at Telerin) will quote rates both with & without CDW. I just got a quote from her for Apr 26 - May 3 and declined the CDW. She knows I will be using my Amex card as I have for years.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Judy the issue comes about due to most credit cards not covering rental trucks overseas, so be very careful about turning down CDW and trusting your credit card to cover it.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Ha! Ha! It's a double edge sword I guess. My credit card companies are warning just the opposite, be sure to decline the CDW otherwise I won't be protected by my credit card coverage and will have to trust the rental company. I guess it boils down to who I trust more ( or less).
    Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated. Also, I plan on renting a car not a truck.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Judy..The short answer to your question IMHO is any rental organization who has a policy of MANDATORY CDW is not an organization that I would do business with. The extremely excessive daily charges are just "gravy" for the rental company. Try annualizing what they charge on your auto policy at home and you'll see my point as to why I say they are extremely excessive. CDW is offered as a perk by many credit card companies and my advice is to avail yourself of it. If a rental company will not allow you, they are limiting your free choice and as a consumer you should go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents worth!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

I have been checking into truck rental on Bonaire. I find neither Visa or Mastercard covers trucks internationally with insurance when using their card.
    I can get an AmEx card and buy premium insurance for a small price and it does cover trucks.
    I have checked 4 rental car companies on Bonaire and no one accepts the insurance directly. Two will let me decline their insurance but they expect me to pay all damages before leaving the island and I have to get the money from the AmEx insurance. The others require I buy their insurance at about $11/day with a $500 deductible.
    Its just pretty crappy anyway I look at it.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Sounds about right, actually.

to the best of my knowledge.. Poppy's is the only one who accepts AMEX
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.