Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Besides Bonaire

Default Where Besides Bonaire

So I know Bonaire is the best diving ever....but the hubby gets 2 weeks next year & I'm looking for another Caribbean dive vacay in addition to Bonaire. Somewhere I can be frugal (flying from DFW) and get some good diving in. I usually stay at CCB when on Bonaire, so accomodations similar to that would be great. I searched on scubaboard for Belize, Utila & other Carib destinations but I find that site to contain a lot of negativity in general. I have already been to Cozumel a couple times, so I want to skip that. Hubby gets sea sick easily, so I need somewhere with short boat trips if at all possible.

Can anyone provide insight on Turks & Caicos or Cayman or anywhere else I can meet the above needs?

Bonaire for 2weeks or explorer liveaboard, they have the anti sway platforms that will help with the seasickness. Also prescriptions meds might help, scopamine, ginger etc.

Dominica was a lot of fun, short boat rides, shore diving on the property and beautiful island scenery to enjoy.

We stayed at the Island House on Grand Turk about 10 years ago. Small island, very quiet. Used Oasis divers. Very short boat rides and easy good diving.

Good luck in your search.

I have to agree with the Nick, good luck finding another Bonaire god knows I've been looking for a few years and have not found anything close. My wife does not dive so anywhere other than Bonaire when I want to go diving I'm gone for half or more of the day, and for that I get two dives, on their schedule, where they want to dive, for as long as they want to dive and I get to pay them. Forget it I'm booking Bonaire.

<rant mode off>

There is shore diving other places, I've done it on Grand Caymen and it was great, but that is a very expensive island. Grand Turk should have some but I've not heard of anyone doing it. This is a pretty good resource, http://www.shorediving.com/.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You could try Curacao.
    better flying connections.
    Also shore diving.
    You could do 1 week bonaire and 1 week curacao

As Nick and Cecil note, you likely would not find the "diving freedom" of Bonaire on other islands. But it depends on what you are looking for. Cayman is expensive and scheduled boat diving, but the "bottomless" diving on the walls are so different from Bonaire. Smaller resorts would be on Brac and Little Cayman but w/o shore dives. Several GC resorts do have decent shore diving for the afternoon. Good luck. If I could swing two weeks, I would stay on Bonaire!

I agree with smits, Curacao has some great shore diving, especially the west end. It is only a 15-20 min. flight from Bonaire with amazing beaches and plenty of topside attractions for the non diver. My wife and I have done this a couple of times (staying in Curacao 4-5 days then heading to Bonaire for a week). I would recomend Nos Kruseros in Westpunt. Not ocean front but across the street and Go West diving is right there. An amazing house reef, great staff, full service dive shop. A car rental is necessary to get around. Got a small car for the two of us past september for $22/day. Enough to hold a few tanks and our dive gear. Booking.com has the best rates for these acccomadations, even cheaper than booking direct. If you want oceanfront, try Allwest apartments. Bryan Horne manages Go West diving as well as the apartments. My wife and I found the studio to be plenty for what we needed, but the one bdrm apts were lager and quite nice. Just my two cents worth.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

I've traveled many islands in the Caribbean for 40 years. If it were me this is a no brainer. Stay the two weeks on Bonaire and enjoy la doce vita!.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Thanks for the tips everyone. I tried to talk him into two weeks but he wants to try elsewhere. I'm sure this will be our last trip to anywhere else for a dive vacation....at least in the Caribbean. I think we will end up at Grand Turk. But who knows? Maybe I will win the lottery.

On a side note, I did find some pretty awesome liveaboards that travel all over. National Geographic gives some amazing vacations. BUT they are extremely pricey, hence the lotto playing.