Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft from cars/trucks now, 03/2014

Default Theft from cars/trucks now, 03/2014

In our previous two trips we followed the recommendations to leave windows down and doors unlocked in our rental trucks and had no problems with break ins. I guess we didn't leave anything to be stolen in the trucks as well. Has anyone heard of what's been happening recently with break ins to cars/trucks?

Thanks.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

To my knowledge there have been no changes to the often repeated recommendations which you have adhered to in the past. My recommendation, do the same on your next trip.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

I concur with DiverVince. I am witness to the theft still occurs - especially at Witches Hut. I also still see broken window glass at dive sites.

Hey Gman!
    You have been diving on bonaire for a long time. Not many people know Witches Hut. They changed the name many years ago, but Billy and I still call it Witches Hut.

Jena and I still log it as Witches Hut when we dive it. never had anything taken while there. windows left down and nothing in truck to take.
    There's no place like Bonaire

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Andrea 2 is one of the worst.....new broken glass there every few days

Hi Dee....I guess they did change the name a few years ago, but I still refer to it by the old name

I had no idea the thieves would steal an old pair of Reef flip flops, but dang if they didn't! I guess they liked the bottle opener on the bottom.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

"Witches Hut" is still listed on the BNMP and other current Bonaire dive site maps. The shore dive site is marked as Weber's Joy on the yellow rock marker, but I think most dive boats still refer to the nearby marine park buoy as Witches Hut.

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

We come down to Bonaire every few years for extended stays (too many other places to visit, too little time). This time we've noticed a marked increase in security vehicles on both the southern end and the northern end. Over the past two weeks (Mar 1- Mar 13) every time we've gone north we've seen a GSS security vehicle drive by. Reassuring, but we still leave our windows open. We do leave towels and water bottles in the truck, nothing we'd be too upset about losing, though the fact of losing them hurts. We have been victims in years past and accept it as part of the cost of diving in paradise. Everyone should heed the warnings, but not let it deter you.

Didn't see any glass at witches hut, and we don't bother going to Andrea II anymore, don't want to get a flat tire from the smashed window glass in the parking area.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOD View Post
    This time we've noticed a marked increase in security vehicles on both the southern end and the northern end. Over the past two weeks (Mar 1- Mar 13) every time we've gone north we've seen a GSS security vehicle drive by. Reassuring, but we still leave our windows open.We have been victims in years past and accept it as part of the cost of diving in paradise. Everyone should heed the warnings, but not let it deter you.
    Between you and me, I really don't know why you would be reassured by seeing a GSS security vehicle drive by a dive site. They are a private security firm hired by businesses and homeowners to monitor THEIR property. Rest assured they are not monitoring vandalism at a dive site. See their website

http://bonairebestliving.com/categor...-of-your-home/

And also from what I've seen, they drive too dam fast down EEG.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU