Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theft from cars/trucks now, 03/2014

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Oh, I didn't know that. The bubble bursts as it rises to reality!

I can understand along the southern road, but why would they be driving along the road to Karpata? Once you get past Oil Slick, are there really any private homes out there? Of course they might be killing time till their shift ends, but that would be cynical.

Hello fellow-Bonaire-lovers: We have had one spectacular dive after another this month. Yesterday on a dive, a Giant Manta Ray soared past us, within 30 feet of us. To have these experiences, one has to take safety precautions of all sorts: dive equipment, buddy, and training; plus the the rental car and lodging.

I like to be aware of safety issues, but not dwell on them. Take the same precautions on Bonaire that you would in any major American city. I wouldn't leave valuables in a car even with doors locked in my hometown of Salt Lake City.
    This month in Bonaire I have no petty theft issues so far. (Last year there were 3 attempts, but they found nothing to take) We leave nothing of value in the truck, not even my old sandals & cheap sunglasses. We would NEVER roll up and lock windows at a dive site.
    You can roll up windows and lock doors if you park in a supermarket parking lot with gear ini the truck. Lots of people walking around, I've never heard of break-ins in a busier area. That said, if you are interested in keeping up with what's happening on Bonaire, read this forum, the Bonaire Reporter, and the Bonaire Facebook page www.facebook.com/pages/forum-bonaire which is now starting to post police reports.

I can share 2 other stories: at Karpata last week some younger people (anyone under 40 looks young to me!) told us...The previous day they left cameras, cell phones, and wallets in their truck parked at Karpata while they went down to the shore (!!!) "It was only a few minutes and we locked the truck, we didn't realize one door really wasn't locked" sigh. They claim it was only 15 minutes, and their stuff was gone. They learned their lesson 'the hard way' .

My other story...In Hawaii at least 10 years ago, we were warned similar to here in Bonaire not to leave things in a locked vehicle at a beach. One day, I left old sandals, shorts and our Guide book under the seat while we snorkeled. But we locked the vehicle, likely out of habit. The vehicle was a Jeep sort with a soft cover zip-off top, which was up due to frequent rain showers. On our return, thieves had CUT the top with a knife, rather than un-zip it to get inside, and took the articles under the seat. We had to do a police report so insurance would cover the deductible. We never locked the vehicle again! Thanks to everyone who shares info in this forum. Love you guys!
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 03-17-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Jut making it easier to read with old eyes :)

The annoying thing is that the large rental agencies, Hertz, etc. instruct renters to lock the vehicles with the windows up.
    They insist on this instruction even when challeged.
    It probably lets them off the hook for insurance if something does happen.

yes, actually i long time ago, i had an old pair of my very favorite dive flip flops relocated to better feetor a tree(hahah), it was weird they took those old things, kinda like a dare or something.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

I really get exasperated when I read these "break in at dive site" threads. Generally everyone focuses on the victims which is quite understandable. Unfortunately when these victims do not follow the well published rules on dive site etiquette, it harms all of us by providing a positive reinforcement to the perps, thereby perpetrating the deviant behavior. If everyone left windows opened and nothing but junk in the unlocked vehicle, I'd venture to guess that it wouldn't take long for the perps to find some other use of their time (maybe honest work). When a perp breaks in and walks away with valuables, this is a positive reinforcement of their behavior. In psychology this is called operant conditioning first formulated by BF Skinner. It's applicable to training animals and also people.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Spot on, Vince
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

i agree with KOB ,
    There's no place like Bonaire