Thread: tracking airline planes

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default tracking airline planes

Does anyone know where I can find info on the plane that will ultimately be the EWR-BON flight this Saturday? The flight leaves EWR at 8:30 in the morning so the particular plane being used for this flight must arrive from somewhere before 8:30. If I could find that flight and see that it arrived in EWR, I'd be reassured to head out to the airport with a better expectation that the flight will leave on time.

thanks
    5 days...

Brian

try http://flightaware.com/ I think there is a setting in there to see where the plane is ..

I also use http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightTracker.do
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Go to the gate ... look at the far end of the jetway ... if there's a plane there, you're leaving on time
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Thanks Freddie. I found the spot on flightaware where I can ask for the flights between the two airports (is Flamingo getting a new airport code?) I clicked on the Saturday flt 1422 and tracked the inbound flight. I couldn't just type in the flight number because that number is used on different routes depending upon the day.

It appears the equipment used for the Sat. flight 1422 is United Flight 1728 coming from SF. It arrives in EWR at 6:33am (usually), sched departing SF at 10:35pm. Plenty of time to check it's status before we go to bed the night before.

thanks again

Since you are connecting through EWR I assume you are flying United.

If you check the flight status at the united.com website there is a line on the results page "Where is this plane coming from" and link to check that flight's status.

From there you can keep working your way back through several legs that the plane will follow before it gets to EWR.

Thanks for the tip on the United website. I can't check the status of the flight until 24 hours before hand. The other method, using the flightaware website gives historical info, along with realtime tracking. So both of the methods will be useful.

As for going to the airport and looking at the jetway, I'll do that also - as a matter of fact it appears that I've unknowingly used that method every time I've flown in the past 40 years. Wow, who knew I could be so smart? And it's not an app on my smart phone! The "new" method of gathering the info on the flights keeps me from rushing to the airport and getting p'd off when the plane is not at the gateway and being stuck in the airport waiting at the mercy of the airline and the vendors at the airport.

remember Brian if you are flying international and Bonaire is considered that.. you must be at the airport no later than 2 hours prior. and since it is on a Saturday morning the check in is going to be huge.. as will the TSA line.. we are leaving Friday our house on eastern LI at 3;45am to get a 8;30 flight, I would much rather relax in the airport knowing that the plane to Bonaire WILL arrive eventually than to rush in at the last moment and possibly get stuck on the TSA line.. I also do not think it is proper for someone to get there late and expect to be taken to the front of the line to go through TSA... not fair....
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I've been following this thread with some curiosity. What exactly do you plan to do differently if your arriving flight is delayed? Just because it's late coming in doesn't always mean the departing flight will be late leaving. Depending on a variety of factors the airline might accelerate the turnaround process by prioritizing ground crew resources, swap another plane and flight crew into service, or move the late-arriving flight to a different gate to free the current gate for another incoming flight. Unless the departing flight is rescheduled for a later time you'll be expected to be at the assigned gate on time... even if the arriving flight is delayed.

I guess I'm saying that there's a difference between delayed arrivals/departures and rescheduled departure times due to flight delays. United is a stickler for adherence to airport early arrival times, especially for international flights, and especially at Newark. Even if your inbound or departing flights are delayed you can expect to be turned away if you attempt to check your luggage in any later than 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time. This happened to a coworker just last year at Newark. Personally, I'd only feel safe arriving at the airport at a later time if the airline has re-scheduled the flight for later departure. Otherwise I'd be at the gate as originally planned.

I understand all of what you are saying and I really appreciate the input. I guess I've been burned too many times showing up at the airport to have the airlines tell me that the inbound flight has been delayed and there would be a "slight" delay (Slight is the airline's term for an open ended time frame). All I'm seeking is a little more information.

We're planning on staying with friends in NJ on Friday night and getting an early start to the airport, arriving about 6am. I too hate it when people show up late and expect to be treated with extra care (of course there are always unforseen delays). Just like I hate it when people have two enormous "carry-on" bags AND a bag of some miscellaneous delicate items, AND their laptops. (slight exaggeration) and they're seated in the front of the plane and hold everyone up as they try to sort out their carry-ons in the aisle. But I digress. We all could go on and on about what irks us about airline flights and how we get "handled" by the airline company.

And besides, this investigation gives me the opportunity to burn off some of the pre-Bonaire excitement energy! (bags have been packed for a couple of days already)

4 days... can't wait to look out my window and the only glare I see is the one coming off the water, not the snow.