Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Wall Dive Site (by shore)

Default Small Wall Dive Site (by shore)

We're renting a house evidently right at small wall dive site - for part of our trip coming up. This site would be south of Andrea and North of The Cliff (Pretty sure it's just a bit before you turn hard right up the street after capt Don's. This is our 7th time in 8 years to Bonaire. As you can imagine, we know the island and the diving/sites pretty well. I have heard of this site but have not dove it before (nor the Cliff actually). I have my 2nd copy (6th edition) of Susan Porters book BSDME. Small Wall is listed in the front as a boat dive, and is not profiled in the book as a shore dive site. But I know people have dove/dive it from shore. And I'm trying to get opinions on the site, the entry/exit mainly.

We're taking 6 friends with us to Bonaire this year for part of our trip. 3 of which are new divers. 3 of which do not dive, but snorkel. So I'm just trying to get a feel for - if we'll be able to dive right off of our front beach area. So wanted to poll the forum for folks who may have dove this site and who could share their opinion about it (again mainly entry/exit but always love hearing it all!). Thanks!

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Most shore diving at Small Wall is done by guests of Black Durgeon Inn, who enjoy access via a private dock right in front of the dive site. There's no public shore diving access adjacent to this site, so any other shore access will be from private property such as your rental. I think it may be tough to answer your question without feedback from somebody who has stayed at the same place. Do you know the name or address of the rental?

Yes, casa Del mar is name of house.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Small wall is about 45 degrees south from the BD dock. If you're north up by the turn then it is a fairly long swim. Surface swim to BD, then submerge and continue south.

From Dive Friends at hamlet it is a loooinngg swim north. I've done it and won't be doing that again. If you wanna dive Small Wall the best way is to stay at black durgon. Or by boat, unless you're connected at one of the adjacent private homes.

If you do start at hamlet, make a stop on the barge off the bollards at the water plant.

Basically if you want to dive small wall (and you DO want to) do it by boat or stay at BD or close by.

Edit: What is intuitively obvious to me, that is, what I meant, is stand on the db dock and look 30-45 degrees south from west and you'll be looking at small wall.
    Last edited by gbf; 02-14-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    Brad Ford

SunRental's website for Casa del Mar inidcates the location is 5 houses south of Black Durgeon. Below is a photo from the rental website that shows the ocean entry. It looks pretty easy by Bonairean standards, but you'll have confirm for yourself once you arrive. For reference, the boat in the background is tied to the Small Wall mooring buoy. IMHO this looks like a great property at a great dive location.

(Sorry about the poor photo resolution. That's how it was on the rental site.)

Thanks! Yeh - I've checked out the sunrentals site and every review I coudl find. (although did not figure out that it was 5 houses down from BD - thank you! That was the missing link for me). Also got a PM - evidently this house is one of the only other ways to shore dive small wall without a long swim - I heard from a nearby homeowner, it is literally right in our back yard. And now you've shown me the boat marker- thanks again!

I haven't had the opportunity to dive Small Wall, but do not miss The Cliff. You won't have to swim all the way there from that house, just drive up and park at Dive Friends. Maybe you will be using them as your dive shop. That location and dive spot is our favorite as well as their friendly, knowledgeable staff!

Yes, the house is The Beach House, aka Casa Del Mar. We rented through( I believe) Sunrentals or Sunbelt. Do a search on both to see who represents this property.
    We have stayed at this home 2 times and really enjoyed the easy access to The Cliff. At the bottom of the dive is a small overhang at around 80', nurse shark has a home there as well as many eels along this reef. Funny story staying there: our niece getting certified on a boat dive while we stayed back at the house. When the dive boat pulled up to The Cliff, she told the DM that was where she is staying, pointing to Casa Del Mar. After she got certified, she was able to dive The Cliff many times from shore, it's that easy.
    Snorkeling is really nice and an infinity pool at the house. I can send pictures via email.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We just returned from 2-weeks and you can dive Small Wall from shore--just after you leave "town" going north stop on left side of road about 100 yards north and you will see a trail by only tall tree heading down to shore. Take the trail down and then another left about 50 yards down the shore is a big round rock and hopefully a solid white flat rock on top [I put it there as a reminder] and that is a very easy entry point. We dove it twice and great shore dive, no current and great fish life and photo site. Also you will love the Wall--entry from DFB is very nice and also one of our favorites. Not to be left out of recommendations is Punk Vierkant. If you look at photo on page 123 will also give you very easy entry site.

Take close entry road to the property and drive in front of property water side and around the "round pool" on side closest to Lighthouse/King's and as you get closer to shoreline veer to the left and park. Walk the shore line to your left and you will come upon a very rusted crankshaft on the shore---that is your entry point as very simple walk in with good base. This site is great for photo and one of your best on island for 2014! Only one to beat it was a tie this year--Margate Bay and Tori's Reef! Got to video Green Moran on few swim right in front of us while taping some beautiful coral and GoPro chase from 50" to 120" was on---it won but footage is best and hope to have my kids get it posted to BT---also taped pair of Spotted Eagle Rays in flight together and got this on tape also and just beautiful. They let me hang around for short time and then said goodbye with simple movement of their wings at the sale time and touching on a regular basis......again just incredible! Tori's just dropped down @ 15' to get video of small fish life and was greeted by octopus moving and got this on tape--the changes in color, texture and size was just incredible and wife agreed best day of diving ever! Anyway enjoy the trip and any questions just keep posting.

Royce & Mary Balak

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Yes, the house is The Beach House, aka Casa Del Mar. We rented through( I believe) Sunrentals or Sunbelt. Do a search on both to see who represents this property.
    We have stayed at this home 2 times and really enjoyed the easy access to The Cliff. At the bottom of the dive is a small overhang at around 80', nurse shark has a home there as well as many eels along this reef. Funny story staying there: our niece getting certified on a boat dive while we stayed back at the house. When the dive boat pulled up to The Cliff, she told the DM that was where she is staying, pointing to Casa Del Mar. After she got certified, she was able to dive The Cliff many times from shore, it's that easy.
    Snorkeling is really nice and an infinity pool at the house. I can send pictures via email.
    I think you may be confusing The Cliff and Small Wall dive sites, which are about 1/2 mile apart and separated by the WEB water plant. Small Wall is near Casa Del Mar and has a small cliff-like wall such as you described, where nurse sharks have been seen frequently over the years. I've stayed 10 weeks at property right in front of The Cliff and done dozens of dives there. I've never seen or heard of anyone else seeing a nurse shark there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    We just returned from 2-weeks and you can dive Small Wall from shore--just after you leave "town" going north stop on left side of road about 100 yards north and you will see a trail by only tall tree heading down to shore. Take the trail down and then another left about 50 yards down the shore is a big round rock and hopefully a solid white flat rock on top [I put it there as a reminder] and that is a very easy entry point. We dove it twice and great shore dive, no current and great fish life and photo site.
    You've described the entry for the unmarked shore dive site known locally as Petri's Pillar. Small Wall is about 1/5th mile south. I can usually reach it near the 30 minute mark when entering here, but by then I'm starting to work my way back to a shallower depth for the 2nd half of the dive.

Below is an image that shows the relationship of these site. You can see them in more detail, including The Cliff dive site, at this Wikimapia link.