Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: callling wwguy

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    There's also an anchor similar to this one on the south side of Cha Cha Cha Beach in front of Divi, but the one in the photo above is not that one.
    Yes, that's the anchor in the photo below. I thought that one would be too easy to guess!

chachacha anchor.JPG

Still working on keeping this trip report real and fresh... and setting the bar as high as I can for Brad's next trip.

Here's a dive we enjoyed with the lovely Leanne of Beachcomber Villa fame on her birthday:

Coming soon: Christmas Day dive at Candyland! :BB:
    Last edited by wwguy; 01-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We scheduled our next trip way out in august because that was the first opportunity my oldest daughter and her new husband had to go with us. We really wanted to go sooner, but we love our children.

Some times more than other times.

wwguy, I see you've been sucked in by the old "plastic seahorses on the reef to dupe the tourists" trick.

Thanks for the virtual trip. It will keep me going while I anxiously await August.

And for those who have not had the opportunity to stay at Beachcomber Villas and meet Leanne and Tim:

They are two of the nicest folks around. And for those who ain't from around here, when somebody from the deep south calls you "nice" that means "could marry our sons or daughters".
    Brad Ford

Thanks SOOOOO much for the warmth and sunshine! Your trip report and videos sure warm my heart on this -2 degree morning. Can't wait for May!
    Blow bubbles, and be at peace.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

So is this video also shot with your new GoPro? If so did you find the difference in using the various Backscatter flip filters at different depths or not? Jus wondering as bought the 3-filter packet and plan to try them out in 8-days. Beautiful videos and am enjoying them these cold days.

Royce

Love the video but I know you are holding back the really good stuff!

Thanks for the trip report and video. Really nice way to pass time on a cold day.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. My video skills are marginal at best, but Mother Nature helped me out by supplying something interesting to record. Brad, I appreciate your sense of humor. Reid, I'm both happy and sad to see you made it home too. I hope your second week on Bonaire was as much fun as your first.

Royce, I shot all of this video with my new GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition using ambient light and filters. The "Day 1" video posted previously was shot using a Polar Pro red glass filter, but I didn't like this filter for several reasons. The Polar Pro frame and filter are both fragile and require some physical effort to snap on and off. It also requires stowage when it's not on the camera. For the remainder of the trip I shot everything using the Backscatter Flip 3.1 system with interchangeable acrylic filters. I like this setup much better because I can go to progressively "redder" filters as depth increases. I primarily used the "dive" filter recommended for 20' to 50' and the "deep" filter recommended for 50'+. There's also a "shallow" filter recommended for 5' to to 20', but I found the "dive" filter worked pretty well in this range too. My setup was only configured for 2 filters, so I chose deep over shallow.

It's worth noting that the GoPro wants to adjust white-balance somewhat automatically and that changes in ambient light affect both white-balance and effect of the filters at depth. So things get a little interesting sometimes when the clouds intermittently obscure the sunlight and/or when panning the camera to scenes higher or lower in the water column. This leads to the "sunny" yellowish-orange glow you can make out at some points in the footage. All-in-all though I'm very impressed with the ease-of-use and quality of the setup.

-Roger (wwguy)

Here's my camera setup with the filter system attached:
    gopro_backscatter.jpg

Here's a quick test/demo I did at 50', just to help me learn which filter had what effect. The subject matter is pretty simple, but demonstrates the effect on color pretty well. In some of the later footage I'll post you'll also see the deep filter recording a swimming green moray at 70' and some stingrays in the sand channel between the inner and outer reefs at The Rock.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for taking the time to send this out--it really does show the improvement in colors when recording and will enjoy seeing the next video.

Royce

Here's our Christmas Day dive at Candyland. There's nothing amazing in this one. There is some great footage of the general vibe though, plus a little Christmas humor. I also included some select clips from the journey up and back because I think that's an integral part of the whole Candyland Experience. Anita had her hands full (literally and figuratively) capturing the off-road experience while I drove. I sped the driving clip up to double time in the interest of keeping the video short. But it's still a little over 8 minutes.

This was the 2nd video I edited on the trip. It takes longer than you might think. I think this one was at least 4 Polars.