Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GoPro Advice

Thanks for all the info. Now to get out and practice and figure this out as I go.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

One last item--please do get a retractable pole to attach the GoPro as mine is about 3' extended, and resting it near a interesting creature is nice, but do not provoke by getting in their face--normally you will find they are curious about the camera and will move out from a space and come right up to the camera to explore this plastic creature and you will have some great shots! Cornhusker

I am considering getting a GoPro 3- White. Any experience or opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated.

Cornhusker where did you purchase your retractable pole?

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I got the pole [goscope] I believe on line at amazon and just ordered it--lots of possible options and mine has a turn/twist stop and extends out 3' I believe. You can also flip the recording to have the camera hang below the pole, but I found it very stable to sit on top of the pole and take videos. Also I did buy the LCD screen attached in the waterproof casing so I can view what I shoot--it does take up a lot of battery so I have extra 2-wasabi batteries and charge all 4 and take all of them with me on a dive trip. Also I have 2-64g chips and a 32 as a backup for long diving day and download each night to clean out---also reading some place about rating should be a 10 [0thers can explain quality number] which I also use them in my land camera. Also did get the flip adaptors for magic filters this year from Backsactter and am excited--used single clip on last year and while ok better options exist. Also I did lose mine 1-time diving and do not look down, but rather track it going up to the surface. I followed it slowly, did a safety stop and then got it back and finished my dive at less depth. The are lots of fun and mine is Silver edition.

Used my GoPro for the first time yesterday at Something Special.Amazing quality.Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a red filter and a Goscope. The filter really make the pictures and video more vibrant. The Goscope allowed me to get some great video. I,m hooked.....Will post some photos soon.

I just purchased the GoPro Hero4 Silver. I also got a telescoping pole. I only snorkel, and from what I've read, the red filters seem to be more needed at depths below 10 feet, where you lose the red. Does anyone with GoPro experience snorkeling feel that I need to get the red filter for snorkeling? I'm coming down in 2 weeks, so if I do, I need o order it asap!

larrygross is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hi, I've taken pictures while snorkeling for years, and the blue color comes pretty quickly, certainly before 15', easy to reach. I used a flash, operating in a primitive way long before gopro.

Kim, I have a GO-PRO as well and I only use the filter beyond 20 ft. Shallower depths there is much more natural light so you really should not need a filter. No need to rush and buy. You can get them on the Island for about the same price as at home. I bought my accessories in Bonaire last April. Can't remember the name, but it was the dive operator across from the new cruise ship pier.

I have a Sealife camera for stills (that I use the flash with), but was hoping to use the GoPro for video, as I don't like how the Sealife video looks. Thanks, I'll give it a go, and if I need to will pick up a filter on island.