Thread: Local Sourdough bread

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Local Sourdough bread

Anyone know where I can get some real artisan sourdough bread? I'll be down for 2 months in the spring and would love to find a source, otherwise I'll bring some of my own starter and try to make it there, but would prefer to purchase it fresh.

I am not a big bread eater, but sourdough doesn't appear to be a common item here. You might try contacting the Real Dutch Bakery, located in North Salinja, here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Real-...00489466680937. Maybe Petrie or some of the other locals have some additional insights.

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We make our own sourdough at home but decided we would manage without it for our 5-week trips to Bonaire. Had thought of bringing some starter 7 years ago when we started coming for the longer time period but decided against it. Van den Tweel's does have a good multi-grain bread (yes, I KNOW it is not sourdough) and we have seen other breads that have looked good at Warehouse and Top. Have to say given the choice between being on Bonaire for an extended time or eating good sourdough, we opt for being on Bonaire. We can have our sourdough when we get home. Just our view, but....

Good luck in your search.

Might be rules about bringing live yeast cultures across borders too.

BrianOD is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

thanks for the tip about the Dutch Bakery. I've got them located on Google Earth, so I'll definitely swing by. It was just a thought about bringing the starter down, but I'm sure I'll be able to satisfy my "bread tooth". I do remember there was good bread available at the supermarkets, but thought that there might be a source for the artisan type bread I've become addicted to.