Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonaire Residency - The process and forms explained

Just a quick thanks to all who responded. Your help is incredibly valuable and appreciated!

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

FWIW, we have been told by IND that all our paperwork is OK for residency, including the deed to our Bonaire home, which is worth less than the $365,000 mentioned above.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

That is good to know! Happy to hear it went well.

Thank you for detailed information in this thread. Having said that, I have 3 questions
    My husband and I are US citizens, wanting to apply for residency in Bonaire in the "independent means" category.

1) "Proof of independent means"
    a) What is the amount of money that has to be shown on bank statement? I see $20k mentioned, is this information based on experience or does the IND actually call it out as such?
    b) Do you have to show this amount for a family or for each person in the family?

2) "Legalised certificate of good conduct issued by a competent authority in the country of origin"
    a) What is the specific document accepted for US citizens? Is it from the local police records in US that we need to get this from?
    b) What is the specific way of "legalization/certification" required?

3) After we are in Bonaire, we will rent a place and can then get the rental agreement to show as place of residence in Bonaire. I read that we also have to get "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling".
    Can anyone clarify where to get this from?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide guidance.

Hi alevcrab -- based on our experience going throught this process right now, here's my thoughts ...

1) The stated amount is indeed $20,000 ... the advice we were given was to show more than that, but not too much ... we opted to show about $200K in a Fidelity account ... IND was fine with that.

2) You get a letter of good conduct from your local police dept. According to a friend of mine who happens to be a Chief of Police in a community next to ours, he said there is no standard form (at least in his community). He just prepared a letter on Police Dept. letterhead that said he knew us and we were good citizens with no prior criminal behavior (or words to that effect). Legalized means notarized in this case, but we also had ours apostilled for good measure. IND was OK with one letter for both my wife and me.

3) Can't help you there .... we have owned our place on Bonaire for several years and just had to provide a copy of the deed. Bob Bartikowski can probably weigh in on this.

Hope this helps.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default other options

There is much easeir and less costly option. Please e mail be at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com. If any one wants to discuss it in person, I am always available by skype..Michael

Hi Kob,

Thank you for your response on #1 and 2. It is very helpful.

For #3 "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling" - I will continue to ask around. Who is Bob Bartikowski? Apologies, I am new to this board and don't yet know people.

Thank you Michael, I just emailed you and will try to find you on Skype as well.

Bob Bartikowski owns the REMAX operation on Bonaire. Both he and Michael have been very helpful to me and my wife in our pursuit of residency on Bonaire.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

I like the idea of finding alternative solutions for residency for people who do not own a home on Bonaire. And having a company here can work out as the best overall tax plan (between the two countries) as long as you understand the US and Bonaire tax rules and how they work together. Please note that setting up a company to run a business on Bonaire has costs (incorporation paperwork at the notaris runs about $1500), local business permit requirements, paperwork filing requirements locally (quarterly and annual filings with the tax office) and for US citizens, US tax reporting and compliance requirements, normally a Form 5471 and the schedules that go with it. In general as long as the business is a local "real" operating business or a consulting-type service business run while the consultants live here, it's a workable solution for US tax, but you do need to understand the "controlled foreign corporation" rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmichael View Post
    www.bonairehelpdesk.com is my new site now that chat n browse has temporarily closed..you can also mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com. The law about owning a home or property s specific for someone who wants to apply for reisdency. The two exceptions are if you have a job or are a director of a company. Bonaire Hep Desk along with Agnes Joosten can do all the paper and leg work for you.. In case of a coupe who are lawyers, they can establsh an NV or BV that is a US Citizens legal consulting Company or in the case of two friens who are bike entusiasts they can open a busness reltated to biking and heath, etc. My skype is Bonairena or mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com