Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bonaire Residency - The process and forms explained

Just a quick thank you to all the folks here. I appreciate all the information you provided.

- We got our letters, apostilles etc.
    - Got the plane tickets: Arriving the island on May 16th evening.
    - Now we will start to seriously look for rental places: Short term for a few weeks and then long term once we get there and have a chance to look around. (feel free to PM me if you know of anything short term or long). I will also follow up with Bob/Zwanet at Remax on this.
    - Looking forward to meeting y'all…

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you are planning to go to IND yourself without local support, such as Agnes Joosten, be aware that you will need to make an appointment at IND and sometimes they are booked for several weeks. Several of their staff are/were pregnant and off, they closed the office for a week of training, computers were down, etc. while we were there. Just a heads up.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

please take a look a www.bonairehelpdesk.com
    Also, give me a call on skyp vis the helpdesk or local 717 4781 or 795 1574. Michael

Default regarding Legalised Certificate of Good Conduct needs apostille

January of 2014 when we applied for our overwintering permit IND informed us of a change in the requirement, the Legalised Certificate of Good Conduct had to be Apostilled. We had always presented a letter from our local police department in the past. The new requirement is a big problem for us. You can't get a letter apostilled. In our state there is no Legalised Certificate of Good Conduct from any authority. We ended up getting a Certificate of Good Standing on our business from our Secretary of State, had it apostilled and presented it to IND. It worked for them. I hope it works again this year. It is hard to get these documents arranged and sent to you once you are out of the U.S., at least without spending lots of money.
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by alevcrab View Post
    Thank you for detailed information in this thread. Having said that, I have 3 questions
    My husband and I are US citizens, wanting to apply for residency in Bonaire in the "independent means" category.

1) "Proof of independent means"
    a) What is the amount of money that has to be shown on bank statement? I see $20k mentioned, is this information based on experience or does the IND actually call it out as such?
    b) Do you have to show this amount for a family or for each person in the family?

2) "Legalised certificate of good conduct issued by a competent authority in the country of origin"
    a) What is the specific document accepted for US citizens? Is it from the local police records in US that we need to get this from?
    b) What is the specific way of "legalization/certification" required?

3) After we are in Bonaire, we will rent a place and can then get the rental agreement to show as place of residence in Bonaire. I read that we also have to get "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling".
    Can anyone clarify where to get this from?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide guidance.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Kathy -- don't know what state you're in, but when we applied for residency in March 2014, we brought an apostilled letter of good conduct from our local police department. We got the letter and then sent it to Columbus (state capital of Ohio), where it was apostilled without question and returned promptly. The apostille process only documents that the person who signed the document was authorized to do so.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Master0068 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

You guys are giving me the urge.. I've been looking around, researching countries for a place to move, and Curacao and Bonaire are on my radar for potential locations. I'm heading there in late Feb/early March for my first visit, let's see if it feels like my paradise .

If you're a diver the answer will be easy, if you want beaches, ehhhh.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Very Useful information, thank you. I am a British citizen currently on Bonaire going through the work permit and residency process. I have heard if you are single you need a 'certificate of singleness' i.e something that proves you aren't married or divorced. If you are from the Netherlands you can simply apply for one but I'm not aware of anything like that in the UK. Researching I have found a 'Certificate of no Impediment' which is a certificate that says you can get married abroad. Does anyone know if this is accepted as 'proof of singleness' at the Census office? Another option is an affidavit but that would require me to go back to the UK. Does anyone have a solution to how to solve my issue? It would be most appreciated.

DSearle is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I'm pretty sure the Certificate of no Impediment will work. It does need an apostille. Also, the affidavit may not require returning to the UK. I suggest you contact the British Consulate in Curacao, where they may be able to notarize such an affidavit. I know the American Consulate does this for U.S. citizens.
    By the way, this particular document is not required as part of the work permit/residency application with IND. But after your residency is approved, you need the certificate of singleness to register at the census office and receive your sedula (ID card).
    My information here is based on my experience in 2013. I hope it's helpful.
    Doug Searle
    bonairehelpdesk.com

I'm thinking there will be no benefit for us to become Bonaire residents based on current laws - please correct me if I'm wrong. My wife and I are in the process of buying a house on Bonaire. Over the next 3-4 years while our 2 HS Juniors finish HS & start college we'll be lucky to visit 3 times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time. When the kids are settled into a college routine, we plan to spend 4-6 weeks at a time, also 3 times a year - roughly 4 months of the year max. We will continue to seek primary medical care in the states. We have no intention of being employed or starting any business on Bonaire. Other than saving import duties on one container worth of pre-owned personal items, am I wrong assuming becoming residents would have little real benefit? Any feedback would be appreciated.