Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bonaire Residency - The process and forms explained

Hi LouRod -

As long as you can prove you have sufficient yearly income to support yourself while on Bonaire you should be able to get permanent residency. For people who are not either Dutch or US citizens you will need to renew your residency every year for 5 years. After you renew 5 years in a row then you are normally granted "permanent" residency status which means no more paperwork after that.

A part of the residency application process is that you have to show that you have a place to live. This can be satisfied by showing them either a deed to a property that you have purchased, or a valid lease for a rental property.

You can NOT required to buy a property in order to get residency. You can buy one if you want to!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about moving to Bonaire as a person of independent means (Form MBES-3.) and have questions about required documents on page 9.
    There are two items below which I am not sure if they are related to my current residency/property (Canada) or Bonaire.

1) Title of ownership of the dwelling situated on the public bodies(notarial deed) or a lease of a dwelling situated on the public bodies;
    2) An extract from the personal data municipal base administrationshowing that the foreign national has his main residence in thisdwelling;

I appreciate if anyone who has gone though this process or knows what these two items are about can please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

link to Form MBES-3

http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIqB_MBES03_EN_aanvraag_vv_bep_zonder_mvv_of_wijz_doel.pdf

Hi Gelonik,

It has been a few years since we went through this process so if things have changed since then I can't speak for it. Having said that here is what we had done:

Item#1: Once you rent a place in Bonaire, have a copy of the signed lease. If you are buying a place you can use a copy of the deed for the same purpose. Either one of these documents need to be presented at the time of your interview at IND along with all other documents.

Item#2: I am a bit foggy on this one, but there is an office on the corner of Kaya Corona & Neerlandia (across from RCB) where you get your cedulla eventually. I think this is where you go once you get your lease/deed but I don't think that this was actually needed.

Good luck!

Here is what we did back in 2014 for Bonaire residency paperwork for independent means.Note that some things might have changed so verify the information with IND.

1) Application forms - 1 per person (even if you are a couple) - (MBES03 form)

2) Pasaport copies

3) Proof of independent means - back in 2014 it was $20k and above.
    We used a bank statement. We also had with us (but did not have to use) a print out of previous year's tax return + bank print out for the payment made.
    We also had with us Good standing letters from our bank in US but I canít remember if we had used them eventually.

4) Health insurance coverage - copies of insurance card and policy

5) Marriage certificate - apostilled by your state (If you are single, this is a tough one. A match.com profile? 😃 )

6) "Legalised certificate of good conduct"apostilled by your state.
    We got this from our local police headquarters in our city in US.

7) Birth certificates - apostilled by the state you were born in

8) Lease agreement or deed to property you will reside in in Bonaire

9) An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling - check this one at the office on the corner of Kaya Corona & Neerlandia once you are here

10)Letter from your doctor that show you are in good physical and mental health
    We just did a general check up with our physician who then wrote a letter stating that. I belive we used the PADI document for this: https://www.padi.com/documents/padi-...ate%20v201.pdf
    Canít remember if they eventually asked for it but again, it is a good to have if you are going to be diving in Bonaire anyway.

12) Pasaport photos

13) This is not for immigration (IND) but a good to have if you want to get a discount with your car insurance in Bonaire. Get a statement from your US car insurance company showing: Years of no accident. No claims made. Good driver record.

All paperwork above, we prepared in US before moving to Bonaire with the exception of items #8 & 9. Note that apostille process takes time and not everyone is familiar with it. First you get the document, then you get it notarized, then you send it for apostilleÖ so allow time for it.

Good luck! It is a process/pain to get all the paperwork done while in US but once you do your homework, it will be easy. Things went smoothly for us.

Does anyone have a current list or a link to the government list of require documentation. Also, specifically what medical health/insurance information is required if the resident is also looking to qualify for local care and coverage one residency is approved. Thanks.

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by FlaParrotHead View Post
    Does anyone have a current list or a link to the government list of require documentation. Also, specifically what medical health/insurance information is required if the resident is also looking to qualify for local care and coverage one residency is approved. Thanks.

Hi,

As soon as you are a resident, you qualify for Bonaire health care with your sedula (residence card.) We asked our US doctor for our health records to give to our physician here, but it was not necessary.

The only medical information you need to provide when you are obtaining your residency (sedula) is a written statement from your primary physician where you live now that you are in "good health." There is no definition of what this means. I have known people who had various medical conditions and controlled them with medication, or had serious surgeries, and their doctor wrote a letter of good health.

In our case, our physician simply wrote a statement that he had been our primary physician for over 10 years and that we were in good health. It was accepted with no problem.

We worked with Agnes Joosten here on Bonaire, who will guide you through the complete process, fill out the Dutch paperwork, and will go with you to the immigration office for your appointment. That way you won't forget anything. It only cost a couple hundred dollars, and we were so glad to have her guide us through the process. You can google her or find her through her store, the Multishop, on Bonaire.

Best of luck,
    Kate
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

I was trying downloading English versions forms (MBES-4) or other forms and seems there are only available in Dutch. Does anyone know if English forms can still be obtained?

I would ask at the immigration office if they have English versions or either Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul can help you with the form. Agnes or Carlo change a small fee to help you with the initial application, but their knowledge and experience is well worth the fee. They can also tell you how to time the documents, because some docs can't be older than 60 or 90 days, so the requests need to be property "timed".

Good Luck!
    Bob Bartikoski
    www.bonairehomes.com

What are the Bonairean Taxes for an American after obtaining a Sedula? An American will still be paying American taxes as well.

If you becomes a Bonairian resident and keep your American passport, then you first pay taxes on Bonaire (which are usually deductible in the US) and then you also need to file taxes in the U.S.A. Since eveyone's situation is different it is best to consult a tax professional like Bruce Zavon, who lives on Bonaire is often posting on BonaireTalk about tax questions like yours.
    Bob Bartikoski
    www.bonairehomes.com