Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck Insurance Summary and Amex Premium Coverage

I would get total coverage insurance.

courpsy is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I will be there next month and have a reserved vehicle with Avis. I will be using an Amex and have the premium insurance. As mentioned above, it does not cover third party liability. How can I obtain only liability insurance without having to pay the daily rate for everything?

zgirlla is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Hey there, so we got back a couple weeks ago. Here's the deal, all cars in bonaire have to have their own 3rd party liability Insurance, so it's already on the car. The rental car companies just don't tell you this and they often don't want to deal with AMX after the fact if there is an accident, but that is none of your concern. We rented with Avis, used the AMX with the premium insurance on the card, turned down any other insurance from the company, all worked out fine. You are covered. Make sure you do a good vehicle inspection and follow their rules (maybe take pictures of any dents and dings with your phone before you leave with the car) Avis tells you to lock the car, most other companies tell you to leave windows open and the car unlocked because of the theft problem on the island, but just do what Avis tells you so you are not liable. (BUT don't leave even a T-shirt in the car, they will break in for it) Just this Jan 2014, divers parked next to us and came back to theft.. left and old ratty t-shirt and shorts in the back of the pick-upů gone.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the info on the liability insurance, zgirlla.

As for the theft of the t-shirt, I have been going to Bonaire for 17 years and leave my t-shirt & flip-flops in the truck, mesh gear bag in the back ... unlocked, windows down ... without ever having been ripped off. That's not to say it doesn't happen, because it does and some minor things were stolen from a friends truck a few years ago. I can't believe that most thieves want ratty old t-shirts and flip-flops, but maybe they do. Not disagreeing, just relating my own personal experience.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

courpsy is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks zgirlla! This information is helpful!

Here's a question - I understand from Amex the following:
    - You can still use the "premium" amex auto coverage (by first signing up with the program prior to travel - which costs nothing until you rent), even if you have not paid for the rental with Amex. BUT - in order to trigger this coverage, you MUST use your amex card for SOMETHING at time of rental.
    Here's my dilemna. We paid for our accomodations, and rental car - all together, and all through the accomodation rental company. This company does not accept Amex. I spoke to Amex and the agent was wonderful in brainstorming ideas as to how I may be able to spend even $1 at time of rental of the car. One option is to pay for Gas for the rental. Only it has to be onsite - which Bonaire does not offer.
    By the way - I am renting through budget.
    An upgrade would work also, but that is not relevant here as we're getting the typical truck.

Question - does anyone know if that budget location at the airport offers an option to purchase a full tank of gas upon return? You know the kind where you don't have to fill the tank, they charge you a flat rate up front, for when you return the car. Budget 800# does not know the answer to this, so I need to find out before I go.

Or does anyone have any ideas as to a small option to spend a tiny amount of money at Budget (and I can put on Amex - as I'm 99% I've used Amex before for them to swipe my amex card for authorization only - which unfortunately does not qualify b/c it is not an actual charge - rather a "hold".
    Thanks!

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by craigcap View Post
    You can still use the "premium" amex auto coverage (by first signing up with the program prior to travel - which costs nothing until you rent), even if you have not paid for the rental with Amex. BUT - in order to trigger this coverage, you MUST use your amex card for SOMETHING at time of rental.
    This is not what Amex says in the terms and conditions for their Premium Car Rental Protection Insurance policy, which sounds like the policy you're referring to. (I'm pretty sure that's the only Amex policy that covers trucks.) The rental coverage Summary of Terms & Conditions posted on the web site states "Premium will be billed to your Enrolled Card and coverage activated each time you use the Card to pay for a Rental Car from a Rental Company until your enrollment is terminated." This in itself implies that paying for the rental with the card is required.

But if that isn't enough the 8 page Description of Coverage mailed to me after enrolling in the coverage explicitly states "Coverage is activated when the Cardmember uses an Enrolled Card to pay the rental fee for the Rental Car and the Cardmember signs the rental agreement for that Rental Car." Furthermore the term "Cardmember" is defined as "an American Express Basic or Additional Cardmember who has used an Enrolled Card to rent the Rental Car, who has signed the rental agreement with the Rental Company..." Unfortunately I can't find a direct link to this detailed coverage document on the web.

It appears that in your situation either you or the Amex representative is implying that a small incidental charge would be interpreted as a rental fee, thus triggering policy coverage. I don't think this is aligned with the terms defined in the coverage, which might present an unexpected lapse in coverage for you. If the Amex CSR told you differently I think you should get it in writing.

But I think you may have other challenges using this policy with Budget, even if paying for the rental with a qulifying Amex card. I rented from Budget in 2011, but wasn't using the Amex coverage at that time. When I picked up the truck Budget took an old-school carbon imprint of my Visa card, itemized a $300 incidental fee to cover CDW deductible in event of an incident, had me sign the slip, and then they filed the slip away. This initial charge was never passed on to Visa because I didn't have any claims and Budget tore up that slip in front of me when I returned the truck at the end of the stay. At that point they processed a separate electronic credit card transaction for the entire rental fee. So in that scenario I don't think I would have been covered by the Amex policy even if I had enrolled and paid with a qualifying Amex card. The charge that's required to initiate coverage wasn't processed until the rental was returned. I've never heard of an insurance company willing to accept coverage premiums after the policy period has already passed.

Nowadays I rent from Telerin using my Amex card and the Amex insurance coverage. Telerin processes the entire rental fee at the beginning of the rental period and I see the charge for Amex insurance appear a couple of days later. All charges post early in the rental period, making the insurance coverage obvious and traceable to the initial rental fee transaction.

Sorry if this is TMI. Just trying to help.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Telerin was out of cars when I made our Christmas/New Years reservation so I rented from Budget online in advance. The entire charge was paid weeks before we arrived. That would do it for the AMEX, I presume.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I have used my Amex with the automatic insurance on car/truck rentals for years and on Bonaire with both Budget and Telerin. Haven't had to make a claim, so can't comment on that. But I know it kicks in, because the charge automatically shows up on my statement. Agree with the wwwguy's comment that the terms of the agreement would certainly seem to require that you actually rent the vehicle with the Amex card enrolled in the program and that the "owner" of that card be the person signing the rental agreement. I am not buying the idea that you can just put an incidental charge from the rental company on the Amex card and be covered for the full rental coverage.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Thanks for the input folks, appreciate it!
    Since that's what 2 different Amex insurance agents told me - specifically in that department, I think I buy it - and I'm usually skeptical. I can tell by the level of detail and thoroughness they went through and they knew this policy inside and out. Explained every part of it. When you use your amex for anything "related" to the rental, that's what kicks in the coverage - that is a benefit of your card, and, a premium coverage you are paying for (for $24.99). The transaction is necessary only for triggering the policy to start - as you've said kob . I'm trying to see if my accommodation rental agency will back out what they owe budget (which I"ve already paid them on Visa), and let me pay that amount at the budget window on my AMEX. We'll see. It would seem simple, but...nothing is when working with this particular rental agency. The only stressful part of Bonaire to us - every year